faster after disable windows firewall....

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by simisg, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simisg

simisg Registered Member

faster after disable windows xp firewall.... now i have only hardware router firewall nat all pages loaded faster! windows xp firewall is useless if you have nat

2. HJO

HJO Guest

I may try that myself too. :eek:

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I'm a fan of insisting any/all PCs that I'm in charge of are behind NAT...however, I've not found the Windows firewall to impact web performance..or even online gaming performance with VERY system intensive FPS games....in the slightest degree. Windows firewall enabled/disabled...based on many different computers and hardware specs...not an iota of performance difference.

Regarding useless if you have NAT....what if another computer on the same network as you is infected with malware that can help itself to spread across LANs? It only takes a few seconds. ;)

What if you have a wireless network that isn't secured and some kiddie next door latches onto it..and decides to mess with any computers he finds?

4. simisg

simisg Registered Member

im talking for a single pc not in network.......

5. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Ya, to enhance Windows performances it needs to disable or to set in manual a lot of useless services, not only Windows Firewall: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=82331&highlight=services

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I've never been a fan of that for desktop/laptop PCs....only for very specific services such as online gaming servers where they're doing a very specific function. And most of that is because Windows Server defaults to a huge amount of additional services that aren't needed for a public gaming server.

For desktop PCs..using quality hardware, proper driver installation..that's 99.99% of your performance right there. Going in and whacking a bunch of services that the huge majority of people don't know what they are or how they're used...causes problems and loss of function and hardly any performance gain.

And this is coming from someone that spends an insane amount of time online gaming with system intensive FPS games..and I like my computer to be one of the very first ones booted up and logged into the level of some online game..before others spawn, and I enjoy being in the lowest pings. If there's a way to shave 3ms off of my ping...or gain another 5 frames per second in the game...I'll know about it, and I"ll do it. Through trying and testing time and time and time again across many different computers...disabling or enabling the Windows firewall yields no difference. If for some reason it is on your system, you probably have something whacky with your TCP stack/winsock files and maybe various crap leftover from trying 3rd party software firewalls. Try it on a properly built and maintained system.

7. Capsize

Capsize Registered Member

First time i have ever heard win xp firewall slowing down anything at all.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  8. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

In my pc 9 Services enabled in automatic, including the multi -layer defence softwares. :cool: But I can do better... :D

9. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

some other 3rd party firewalls yes, but windows firewall on or off has no effect on web pages load. Regardless, enjoy your speed-up :)

10. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

My experience too ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.