Faronics Anti-Executable v3 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by trjam, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Look here under 'Anti-Executable', 'Click here for available editions' :
    http://www.faronics.com/html/choose.asp

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Besides the compatibility problems I have with FDISR v3.21.205, I don't see much difference between AEv2 and AEv3.

Two major improvements :
    1. You can add/edit/remove objects in the main whitelist and that is an advantage in theory. I still have to find out in practice, what the real benefit of this new possibility is.

2. You can create more than one whitelist, but only ONE whitelist can be active. As a home user, I don't really see the benefit of this.

All the rest is of less importance : most of it are GUI changes, which don't really improve anything. I also think that AEv3 has still too many bugs.

Although I can't use this version, I bought it nevertheless for $20 (50% reduction).
    Compatibility problems are not a reason for me to ditch a software.
    I like AE too much, because of its whitelist-principle, its 100% detection rate, its clearness, its silence, its simplicity and it's an evergreen, ideal for frozen systems. Not many security softwares have these qualities.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  3. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

You needed to buy it if you went from XP to Vista

4. tbay2athome

tbay2athome Registered Member

Considering the mixed opinions on V3, is it better to stick with V2 (which you can still get from download.com)?

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I feel the same way. Version 2 is working absolutely sparkling and no issues at all so i don't see upgrading to v3 at all, but then i'm one of those who tend to stick with older versions i've become accustom to that have always been sufficient and tend to steer clear from new releases because they always seem to introduce new issues in one fashion or another and i like things to remain stable with no loss of time or effort fishing thru problems. Thats the developers job. LoL

6. tbay2athome

One more question, is it pretty much redundant to run an AV in realtime with AE?
    Thanks!

7. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

It is not redundant. AE does not handle script malware. A good AV will.

8. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

a good sandbox will do even better and hell of a faster too...
    i am not beta testing material but AE v3 kinda confuses me

9. tbay2athome

One thing I've not found in the user guide is info regarding setting the program to a high level of protection and enabling delete and copy prevention. I have some sense as to what the advantages are but no good sense of what limitations or problems running in that mode might generate.
    Thanks for any and all feedback!

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

v3 is still in beta so i would give them time to pinch the bugs and level matters out to everyone's satisfaction, thats to be expected.

Theres definitely no confusion with v2 and i use it in combination with scriptdefender which pretty well closes out any chance of malicious scripts trying to force a disruption. Of course you need to gather up all the associations (Doug Knox Has Them) (Kelly's too maybe?) when using script defender because it's uninstaller doesn't return all the default values when removed and that shakes, rattles, and rolls nerves with some like ErikAlbert :)

11. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Version 3 is released, no longer in Beta. The current versions are:
    Faronics Anti-Executable Enterprise Version 3.00.2100.23
    Faronics Anti-Executable Standard Version 3.00.1111.23

12. chris2busy

its true mate..never had any trouble while i was trialing v2..but this one is just ..not for me...now thats out of beta i may give it a go anothere time in the near future :)

13. tbay2athome

Well I tried V 3.0 Standard today.
    It doesn't have the option anymore between High and Low security modes.
    It wouldn't let Firefox 3.0 run even though it was on the white list. Sent the support folks an email about this but it's off my system for now.

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Looks like v2 is going to stick with me also. I said it a hundred times, and not to belittle developers for releasing new versions, but newer never always means better, and more times than not, theres that one version that stands out above the rest before or after, or at least thats been my experience with softs.

EASTER

15. tbay2athome

Got a reply back. There 's an issue between AE3 and FF3 and they've working on it.

16. chris2busy

so..they released a final version while they knew it conficts the browser that is used by like 60% of users? :D

17. ErikAlbert

That's typical for today now. They release beta softwares to anyone nowadays and if they don't find enough beta-testers, they remove the word "beta" and release it anyway and wait what will happen. One day they will do the same with alpha softwares. Money is obvious the main reason.
    Meanwhile I'm waiting until the FDISR/AEv3 is fixed.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  18. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I emailed them too and got the same response. Why on earth would they release it?

19. tbay2athome

I think as consumers we are much too accepting of the less than acceptable quality of a variety of software. We've bought into the line that "this stuff is pretty complicated so be prepared to have bugs and glitches". My approach is that if it doesn't work properly "out of the box" it's gone and it doesn't get a second chance. There's always a better alternative if you look hard enough. The software situation reminds me of the way the car industry used to operate before people like Ralph Nader started making some noise.

20. ErikAlbert

I don't ditch software because of bugs as long the developper is willing to correct them.
    Programmers are not Gods, they make as many mistakes as we do, give them a chance to correct them, just like people give you a chance to correct your mistakes.
    With so many softwares and combinations of softwares/hardware world-wide, containing billions of code, written by different people, do you really think that this can happen without any failure ?

21. chris2busy

well that you conclude from your windows experience..take linux for example..even their beta software are faaaaar more stable than those we even dare to say are stable enough here at win.where there's a will there's a way but atm there is only will for money and less bothering..

22. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Since FF and Thunderbird have the same code base, you can expect at least two bugs with Thunderbird. One minor bug is an abnormally long load time when executing Thunderbird and a general slowdown in the UI after loading. One major bug is corruption of the mail database resulting, in my case, in losing an account Inbox.

If you use Thunderbird, you should first backup, in Vista, \Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\ or, in XP, \Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Thunderbird\.

Nick

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

As much as I appreciate AE with my XP system, I have to report 3 unsuccessful attempts to install it (the final version) on my Vista ultimate system. When the program restarts my computer to complete the installation, it never boots into Windows hanging forever with a black screen.

There can't be any possibility of software conflict as the third time around everything was basically uninstalled, and I had to restore my system every time. Support at Faronics is always prompt(one of the best), but unfortunately they couldn't help me. I've given up as I'm testing (successfully so far) Executable Lockdown (very similar to AE) from Horizon DataSys.

I'd like to know though why AE doesn't install on my system.

24. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I am having trouble with version 2 running with superantispyware as well as
    NOD32. I have been in email correspondence with Faronics.
    I am waiting for a fix for the Firefox 3 issue before I try version 3.

25. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

Nothing has 100% detection rate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.