FAQ: Disabling Windows Update Messages

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by braindedd, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. braindedd

braindedd Registered Member

I would just like to suggest a way to completely disable the windows update notifications for those of us that like to update manually. NOD32 seems to open the wuapi.dll still even if you don't have notification enabled, which causes errors in the system log and also causes dllhost.exe to run permanently in the background. Would it be possible to just add a checkbox to disable the checks completely?

2. louise2005

louise2005 Registered Member

Re: Windows Update Messages

I strongly second this suggestion.

Louise

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

4. Cosmo 203

Cosmo 203 Registered Member

Where is the FAQ, as said in the title?

I hate such stupid, misleading titles. (Ah, I see: braindedd)

BTW: FAQ's are no threads where an answer is expected.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I would like ESET to make NOD32/ESS v4 not to check for all the updates by default but for the most important (e.g. Service Packs only) because I am tired of explaining end-users of the importance of Windows Update , how to update their Windowses and how to stop this notification . These days I have done it multiple times per day to those who I made the mistake to inform about v4

6. Cosmo 203

Cosmo 203 Registered Member

Oh oh, this would likely be near as no notification. E.g. SP3 is supposesed to be last SP for XP, so all XP-machines with that would get no notification by default. Check the updates of the last 1/2 year and you will find, that this not acceptable.

The question is, what is the real problem: The notfication or the unpatched OS's. I strongly think, that the users should see their faults at least once - nobody can prevent them to disable the notification instead of updating, but they should know about their stupidity.

7. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Thanks.

9. braindedd

braindedd Registered Member

Although what I was talking about was disabling the check completely, not just the notifications.
    Just that I'm not so fond of having dllhost.exe running permanently in the background just checking my updates are installed when I have Windows Update disabled completely.
    And no, selecting 'no updates' does not accomplish this.
    Also ... who added the FAQ to the title? Wasn't me ...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.