False file name for Windows

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rainwalker, Dec 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

I have problems of late and one is that under START/PROGRAMS i am showing a BOClean folder/uninstall...............if i open the uninstall folder what opens is Windows...........i would like to get Windows and this bogus BOClean folder off the Start Menu without wiping out Windows...............also i can not upgrade to the new BOClean as it may see the folder and zap it with Windows going along for the ride so i will need to move the name BOClean.......any ideas?

2. Rainwalker

Thinking i should post this in another section as few are seeing it here and i do need an answer........

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

If all you are wanting to do is remove the entry from the start/programs list, when highlighted simply right click and select delete.

Regards,

CrazyM

4. Rainwalker

but, as i said, the folder named BOClean contains Windows.......this is the problem..

5. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

I take that is not where your Windows directory really is?
    Removing an entry from the start/programs list does just that, it does not impact the folders themselves.

Regards,

CrazyM

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Would you mind showing a screen shot of that Please.

7. Rainwalker

Sorry Bubba.....i do not want to buy a screen capture program and the free check outs are too big a download for my dialup..........
    i will try to be clear....i click on Start and up pops my stuff(a few programs i have put there and Run, Search, Control Panel My Pictures etc...........
    also at the bottem is All Programs..............there listed in All Programs is a folder icon named BOClean........i lay my cursor on the folder and up pops a file named uninstall BOClean........i double click on the file and up pops Windows in all it's glory.................so you can see why i am in no hurry to delete the BOClean folder.....

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

What does that folder tell you when right click on it and select properties?

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

a simple alt + Print Scrn on the keyboard would suffice.

are you meaning Windows Explorer :doubt:

Also....if you right click the uninstall BOClean shortcut....select properties....what does it say in the Target area ?

10. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Do you have BOClean installed? Or is this a remnant from an old install?
    If the program is no longer installed, the pointer in start/programs is probably just pointing to Windows directory as that was where the uninstall folder would normally be.

You can safely delete this entry in start/programs if you are no longer using the program without impacting the directories themselves.

Regards,

CrazyM

11. Rainwalker

It was a bit of leftover.......i trusted CrazyM, took a deep breath and jumped in.....scary...............all is well.......thanks to ya all for hangin in there :)

12. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Glad to hear all is well :)

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.