Failure to run at boot

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by voirdire, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voirdire

voirdire Registered Member

I have the GSS version of RegDefend (licensed) and the beta AppDefend (unlicensed). GSS system icon fails to appear after boot. Application appears in HKLM_Run but fails to start. Downloaded and attempted to reinstall. HKLM\Software\Microsoft Windows\CurrentVersion\Run error occurs: RegSetValueEx failed; code 5 Access denied.
    GSS starts manually; otherwise seems normal. Any thoughts?

2. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

voirdire,
    Just to make sure that the driver isn't interfering with things you could boot into safe mode and uninstall the product, then boot normally and install again

See if that helps (for starters)

3. voirdire

That did it! Thanks for your help.

4. voirdire

New error message at boot: "Access violation at 0x7C9379D1 (tried to write to 0x00030FFC), program terminated." GSS fails to run at boot. This seems to occur (the initial time) after I switch on, use and switch off a Dynex external CD r/rw using Nero Express to burn a CD and reboot. Any help is appreciated. I really don't want to reinstall every time I use the recorder, if that is the problem.

5. gottadoit

voirdire,
    What version are you running, it should say in the title bar at the top
    Have you changed the rules from the defaults at all ?

As a first thing to try, on the first tab (Home) can you change your RegDefend profile to be <DISABLED> then retry the operation in the same way please and see if the gss.exe still runs into the same error

Thanks

6. voirdire

Inexplicably, it's back. I'm running 1.110 GSS beta with Tony and RegRun and additional rules (194 total). I've been running those rules since the beginning (with various modifications due to the change from RD to GSS as suggested in posts past.) Perhaps it's a ghost in the machine. Seems okay now, though. Thanks for your help.

v

7. gottadoit

voirdire,
    It wouldn't be a beta if it didn't have at least a few little glitches...
    The beta has been remarkably stable which is a good sign imo

If it does happen again and you don't find an acceptable workaround (like using a smaller ruleset or disabling during this one operation) you could always go back to the release version of RD until the next beta comes out

If you want to persevere with the beta then by all means I can try and help you get to the bottom of the problem you are experiencing, and then it can be reported to Jason in a way that should help him fix it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.