Failed to Restore Data - Snap Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dave Mac, Dec 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Mac

Dave Mac Registered Member

Hi

Looked through the Forum and the Acronis FAQ cannot find out why this is happening. I'm using ATI10 and it is currently working fine, but like any person who values his (or her) data I occasionally press to test on the restore functions just to be sure that should I wish to use ATI in anger it will work.

Using the recovery disk on bootup I am able to see all files that have been backed up but when trying to recover a full image using Snap Restore I get the following error message:

Failed to Restore Data Usng Acronis Snap Restore Option - When the Image was Created, the Partition Occupied Space that is Currently Occupied by the Acronis Secure Zone.

Using the other option will restore the image, but Snap Restore will not work. Any ideas why? Or should I delete the Secure Zone, re-instigate it and then make new backups?

Dave

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I presume that you have your secure zone on the same drive as the one you are backing up.
    There are two questions here. What benefit do you see in using Snap restore? I find no advantage so I just ignore this particular, IMHO, bit of nonsense.

Again IMHO one should keep archives on another drive, either on a second internal drive, where a secure zone can be beneficial, or on an external drive where a SZ is not appropriate.

Xpilot

3. Dave Mac

XPilot, the Secure Zone IS on another Hard Drive, apologies, I forgot to mention this. The issue here is not the worth of the function but the function not working when it should do.

Dave Mac

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Dave,

It's not clear which partition(s) you imaged, where you imaged to or where you were attempting to restore to. However, I'll hazard a guess and say that it probabaly has something to do with the fact that the Snap Restore function will delete (or attempt to delete) any partitions on the destination drive that aren't included in the image that's being restored.

Regards

5. Dave Mac

Hi Menorcaman.

The image I'm trying to restore is my entire C Drive (single partition on this hard drive). The image is held in the Acronis Secure Zone on another hard drive.

Dave

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Mmmm... I take a more pragmatic approach. When I have found functions in various versions of TI that do not work or work in an unsatisfactory way I report them to Acronis. My next step is to capitalise on the parts that work 100% and build them into a backup stratergy that also works 100%

It was this methodology that led me to discarding USB drives, doing actual restores instead of wasting time on multiple validations and adopting the use of multiple, well three actually, exchangable main drives.

Brick walls and head banging I gave up on long ago.

Xpilot

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi again Dave,

Hmm, interesting. When you created the SZ did you also accept the default option to activate the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager? If so, was this done before or after you created the image that you couldn't restore via the Snap Restore function?

Regards

8. Dave Mac

XPilot - I have 1 complete backup on DVD, a clone of my HD (a pristine install of XP and another made within the last 7 days) and always have at least 3 mirrored images taken during the past 10 days - paranoid or what!! My head too has been bashed against several brick walls in the past.

Menorcaman
    - Have not used or installed the Startup Recovery Manager - had several MBR problems previoulsy when I installed is, so having learnt my lesson I now just use the Boot CD.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.