Failed to read data from the disk.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by EdSwartz, Apr 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdSwartz

EdSwartz Registered Member

Failed to read data from disk.

I recently purchased and installed Acronis True Image 9.0 Build 3,567 on my Windows 2000 Professional system.

I started a backup of my IBM 120 GB drive to an external Western Digital 320 GB drive through a USB cable. The IBM 120 GB drive has two partitions: C and E drives.

The backup runs for 2-3 hours and while still working on drive C ATI displays the error:

Failed to read from sector 20,623,639 of the hard disk 1:
    Retry/Ignore/Ignore All/Cancel

I clicked on Ignore All.

I waited 20-40 minutes.

There appear to be no writes occuring to the Western Digital drive.
    The % of operation completed remains at 16%.
    The top green indicator bar remains the same (no new green bars).

The above pattern has occurred several times.

I conclude that OS or the IBM hard drive has gotten stuck while trying to read sector 20,623,639 (Different sectors were reported during other backup attempts).

I reboot my system and everything boots up fine.

I also notice when Zone Alarm Anti-Spyware runs (checking all files on the IBM drive) the system appears to hang with the same symptoms.

A local PC tech checked the IBM hard drive with some diagnostic software (I'm tempted to say it was BartPE) several weeks ago. No errors where reported. The Zone Alarm related symptoms occurred before and after the diagnostic software was run.

I suspect that I have USB 1.0. I'm planning on installed USB 2.0 PCI card.

I'd love to get a good full image backup of my IBM drive. Any suggestions?

Ed

2. EdSwartz

I recently purchased and installed Acronis True Image 9.0 Build 3,567 on my Windows 2000 Professional system.

I started a backup of my IBM 120 GB drive to an external Western Digital 320 GB drive through a USB cable. The IBM 120 GB drive has two partitions: C and E drives.

The backup runs for 2-3 hours and while still working on drive C ATI displays the error:

Failed to read from sector 20,623,639 of the hard disk 1:
    Retry/Ignore/Ignore All/Cancel

I clicked on Ignore All.

I waited 20-40 minutes.

There appear to be no writes occuring to the Western Digital drive.
    The % of operation completed remains at 16%.
    The top green indicator bar remains the same (no new green bars).

The above pattern has occurred several times.

I conclude that OS or the IBM hard drive has gotten stuck while trying to read sector 20,623,639 (Different sectors were reported during other backup attempts).

I reboot my system and everything boots up fine.

I also notice when Zone Alarm Anti-Spyware runs (checking all files on the IBM drive) the system appears to hang with the same symptoms.

A local PC tech checked the IBM hard drive with some diagnostic software (I'm tempted to say it was BartPE) several weeks ago. No errors where reported. The Zone Alarm related symptoms occurred before and after the diagnostic software was run.

I suspect that I have USB 1.0. I'm planning on installed USB 2.0 PCI card.

I'd love to get a good full image backup of my IBM drive. Any suggestions?

Ed

3. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

If your usb is 1.1 then any writes or reads via usb will be slow, but there should not be errors because it is 1.1.

Try doing the backup with the bootable TI cd.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Have you error checked the drive? It soundsl like the drive has either logical or physical errors. Run CHKDKS /R from a Command prompt and see if any errors are reported and fixed.

Although USB 1.1 is slow, I have had no errors introduced due to it.

5. EdSwartz

re: Chutsman: The errors are on the source drive (IBM drive) not the destination drive (external Western Digital connected via USB to the system). So I don't think the errors have to do with USB 1.1.

I ran CHKDSK /R last night after posting to the forum. Since there were open files CHKDSK offered to run itself upon system boot. I selected Yes and rebooted the system. I watched CHKDSK run through Files, Indexes, Security Descriptors. When it reached File Data I realized it was going to run for a long time so I went to bed.

This morning I checked my system. Apparently CHKDSK completed and the system resumed the boot process and booted normally.

Does CHKDSK create a report file I can view? I searched the web for references to CHKDSK and the best I can tell CHKDSK outputs info to the console, so I guess any CHKDSK report info is lost at this point.

Should I assume CHKDSK fixed any problems and just run my backup again?

Ed

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I would try it because the /r option also causes /f to be done. /f means do some of the /r tests and fix the problems.

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I'm not sure about the report file.

But have a look in C:\root for any files with four-digit numbers in the filename. These would be the files Checkdisk tried to salvage from the corrupt sectors, if any were found. Browsing through these files you'll see what you lost and whether you can use any info left inside the corrupt files.

As far as I remember that's how Checkdisk worked in my better days.

8. EdSwartz

No 4 letter files in

c:\winnt
    c:\winnt\debug
    c:\winnt\temp

Ed

9. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

The log can be found here:
    Event Viewer, Application, Winlogon (under Source)

10. EdSwartz

I went to Start\Settings\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Event Viewer

I then looked at Application Log.

I see no entries related to CHKDSK (Although there are a lot of entries related to MSSQLSERVER).

Event Viewer states System Log is corrupt.

Ed

11. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Ed,

When I said C:\root, I meant C:\

Look there for files with names like fil0001, fil0002, fil0003 ....

12. EdSwartz

No files with 4 digit names in c: root.

Ed

13. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Fine Ed,

But for your future tests, I found in the meantime the correct file designation.

It's filexxxx.chk (file0001.chk, file0002.chk, file0003.chk ...)

14. EdSwartz

Thanks for the clarification on the file names.

I did dir /od and so I'm sure I would have noticed the files if I were looking for XXXX.<ext> or fileXXXX.<ext> since I would have expected new files to be at the bottom of the directory listing.

Ed

15. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

What you should look for in the event viewer application log is an entry entitled LOGON this will detail the results of the CHKDSK scan.

Xpilot.

16. EdSwartz

Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.
    Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
    Cleaning up 346 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 346 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 346 unused security descriptors.
    CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
    Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0x275254000 for 0x10000 bytes.
    Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0x2b743f000 for 0x10000 bytes.
    Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0x126402000 for 0x10000 bytes.
    File data verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    Free space verification is complete.
    CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
    master file table (MFT) bitmap.
    CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.

20482843 KB total disk space.
    18745872 KB in 141038 files.
    54724 KB in 16146 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    256411 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    1425836 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    5120710 total allocation units on disk.
    356459 allocation units available on disk.

Windows has finished checking your disk.
    Please wait while your computer restarts.

17. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

It certainly looks as though the IBM drive is about to meet its maker not withstanding the results obtained by your Tech person.
    Here is what I would do:-
    Try once more to create an image using TI and when it gets to the read error press RETRY not Ignore. I would persevere with retries for many attempts just in case the Nth retry might be successful.
    If you have no result having done this you should give up trying to Image C drive because that appears to be where the read errors are happening. You could do a straight copy and paste job on the contents of your E drive to your Usb drive. Using explorer retrieve any user data on C drive. In addition Export your emails, address book to the external drive. Then as you will have guessed the next step would be to buy a replacement drive and reinstall Windows,Acronis and all you other programs finally copying across the data that you have managed to save.

Xpilot

18. jmk94903

Hi Ed,

Well, that confirms that there were errors on the drive. I would repeat CHKDSK /R and see if you still get the read failure errors. If you do not, the image of C should be successful, and the drive is very possibly fine. If the read errors repeat, you won't be able to image the drive, and it may be is seriously bad condition.

If the errors do not repeat and you can image the drive, I'd repeat the CHKDSK /R once a week for a while to be sure the errors don't reappear.

Even if you cannot image the entire drive, TI 9 can do file backups. This will allow you to save all or most of your data and settings (but not program files or the Windows installation. That's better than nothing.

19. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Re: Failed to read data from disk.

Hello Ed,

Could be some bad sectors on the HD. From Windows Start > Run menu, run chkdsk C: /r, chkdsk D: /r, etc for each partition on your hard drive in turn. If Windows found and fixed any bad sectors then try creating a TI backup again.

Regards

20. EdSwartz

I ran a files-type backup last night.

One error occurred in which I was asked Retry\Ignore\Cancel.
    I clicked on Retry.

Plus I received two warnings: "Error opening file. (0x40007)"

The entire backup operation completed successfully.

Questions:

I'm buying two replacement disks (I had the current disks in a RAID configuration).
    Can anyone please recommend a disk manufacturer\brand? (I realize all disks regardless of manufacturer may fail in time but perhaps I can start out with higher quality ones. I was at NewEgg.com looking at the WD 150GB
    10,000 RPM for $274.99. Not sure if I want to put out that much $'s.

21. seekforever

You are paying a premium for the 10K rpm not necessarily a better drive. You might even speculate the faster it goes the faster some parts wear. I know that is a bit simplistic given how a drive operates.

I asked the tech at my favorite computer store about the best brand. He said, "They all fail". My thinking is that the brand-names (like WD, Seagate, Maxtor) are pretty equal but what happens is from time-to-time they all have a bad run where a marginal part is used in lots of drives; the same model manufactured earlier or later is fine. Also, there each manufacturer may have a particular model that doesn't stand up as well as it should.

In short, you pay your money and you take your chance.

22. seekforever

Re: Failed to read data from disk.

There seems to be 2 threads with the similar title and content running on this topic.

23. EdSwartz

I decided to buy two 250GB Western Digital drives. Should be here on Thursday.

In the meantime I attempted an image backup last night. Things didn't go well.

I got about 8 'failed to read sector NN" errors. I clicked on Retry 20 times for the first sector read error. No luck. I eventually started clicking on Ignore.

It seemed like the backup was going to take the rest of the day, so I cancelled the backup about 15 minutes ago.

Questions:

I have two 120 GB drives which were in a RAID configuration (mirroring. What is that 0 or 1?). I broke the RAID about two months ago and began running off one of the hard drives. The primary hard drive is the one with the read errors. This past Sunday I did a files backup of C and E partitions of the primary hard drive. Can I do a restore of that files-type backup to the second hard drive which has been sitting inactive (unplugged) for the past two months and expect to have a working system?

Also, is there any value looking for and using a data recovery service to see if they can successfully copy my disk image to a new drive?

Any other ways I can run True Image to do an image backup of my hard drive or other suggestions?

In the meantime I'm going to do an incremental backup of the past days work.

Ed

24. jmk94903

Unless you have a Windows installation on the second 120GB drive, a files backup won't be bootable as far as I know.

A data recovery service might help, but they can't fix bad sectors, and the typical charge is $200 to look at the situation and $1,000 to recover the data.

I wouldn't make an incremental of anything at this point with a failing drive. I'd only make full backups so that they are independent.

If CHKDSK /R run more than once can't fix the drive well enough to allow an image to be made, I think you will have to settle for just saving the data files that you can still read.

I wouldn't turn the system off until you are ready to swap out the drive.

25. EdSwartz

Yes, the 2nd 120 GB disk that was in the RAID configuration does have a Windows OS on it. The failing drive and the 2nd drive were both in the same RAID configuration about two months ago. And the RAID had my system disk on it. I've not touched the 2nd drive since taking it out of the RAID. Now, I'm only running on the 1st drive (which is the one failing).

Given the above do you think I can do a restore of my files-type backup done of the 1st drive to that 2nd disk and be back in operation?

I'll run CHKDSK twice tonight and see what happens.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.