Failed Hard Drive.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by badger, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badger

badger Registered Member

Can anyone be so kind as to instruct me how to restore my Disk Image to a new Hard Drive.
    My C drive has failed and I have been sent a new one. I have installed this in the Tower in the same place, same leads etc as the old one.
    What do I do next? please. I obviously cannot get into windows to format and partition it. I can get into the BIOS.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. J

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

So that we can be on the same page from the gitgo, you have a Disk Image made by what? And where is it located?

3. badger

badger Registered Member

I have a full backup image (up todate) made by Acronis TI 11. It is on my Second internal hard drive.
    My C drive has failed. I have a new HDD which I have installed into the tower, using the same Sata connection as the failed drive.
    I want to restore my backup to the new drive. But do not know how to go about getting it recognised, formatted and partitioned.
    Is this what yu wish to know. Thanks j

4. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

Have you got a bootable Acronis cd? If so just put the cd in the computer make sure that the BIOS is set so that it boots from the cd.

Then follow the restore prompts. If the replacement hard disk is the same size as the failed drive then you will be back in business as you were. If the drive is larger and you want to use the extra space then the disk partition needs to be changed. There are tutorials and threads here how to do this.

The MBR set up ,formatting and partitioning will all be taken care of in the restore provided you backed this up.

On final thing make sure that your new hard disk is set as before i.e. as a Master or Slave drive. You might for example have a CD drive as a master and the hard disk as a slave.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

He says he has a SATA drive so there is no Master/Slave jumpers to worry about.

6. badger

badger Registered Member

Thank you both for your help. He is a She!! but not to worry. Yes it is a Sata Drive and I made sure I installed the new drive with the same leadsas the failed drive.. It went to Sata 1.
    I used my Bootable media disk and I booted into Acronis with this.I do not have an installation disk.
    But the new hard drive does not appear to be recognised. At least I could not find it in the tree.
    Does the new Drive not have to be formatted and partritioned before I can restore my image to it? Does TI do all this? or do I do this in the BIOS?
    I have printed out the manual but could not find anything to help. Thanks again. J

7. badger

badger Registered Member

On reading your post again, I think you have already answered my questions. My problem seems to be that I could not find the new drive in the tree. I realise it had a different letter, but so had the original .
    Because I cannot find it, I thought I had to prepare it before Acronis could restore my Image. J

8. seekforever

The rescue CD is Linux which assigns letters differently than Windows. It should be OK when you restart the system after restoring.

9. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

badger,
    Check the restore guide on line 2 of my signature below. If your new drive is the same capacity as the old drive, my guide gives you step by step instructions.

10. badger

badger Registered Member

Thank you all very much for your help. GroverH I have your instructions printed out and I always use this to do a Backup Restore(I have only ever had to do two,) but followed your instructions to the letter and all was well.
    This time the difference is that My C drive has failed. I got a new one (same size) and installed it into the bay where C Drive was originally.
    My full backup is on my second HDD and I wanted to restore the backup to the new drive.
    I could not not find the new drive in the TI tree. Only one drive was showing (my second HDD with the backups) . So I thought that I had to initialize the new HDD.so that it would be seen.
    I have since found out that had I been able to see the new drive,I could restore to that,as long as I select Disk 1 which includes the MBR and Track 0.
    Am I correct? Thanks J

11. seekforever

Are you still having trouble finding the new disk or are you just asking for clarification?

12. badger

badger Registered Member

Thank you. I have now found the drive,
    I think perhaps I had not connected it properly. I was in a bit of a panic.
    when I could not see it in the tree, I just thought that I had to initialise it,so that it could be seen. I did not realise that Acronis would do it all.

I have restored my backup, and all is well again.
    I wish to thank everyone for their help. Thanks J

13. seekforever

I may not be correct in saying this but I think I've had brand new disks that whatever version of TI at the time did not find.

Actually, I always partition and setup my disks in Windows before restoring the image. I find it easier to set them up and I do the Full format which gives me confidence the new disk is working well since the Full rather than Quick does a readcheck of the sectors. It does take more time though.

Yes, the format I do when setting it up is wiped out when the image is restored but the format is just setting up the file system.

14. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Mmm... By the time you have done all that my new drive, fresh out the box, will have been restored and running :D.
    I would however schedule a CHKDSK R at a convenient time to make sure that the new drive did what it says on the "tin".

Xpilot

15. badger

badger Registered Member

Thank you very much Seekforever. I would have done what you say, only my problem was that My C Drive had failed and I could not get into Windows. I installed the new drive and once Acronis saw it in the tree, I restored my full backup to it.
    I did not realise that Acronis would do all the partitioning and formating for me until I read this thread.
    I again thank everyone for their help.

Xpilot Are you recommending that I do a scandisk.? Everything is working well at present, and I am a bit concerned that I may upset the applecart. J

16. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I have never heard of CHKDSK doing any harm. Indeed the reverse is true. CHKDSK R will seek out and repair a variety of errors some of which may be of no great signifigance but it is as well to get them cleared up.

I normally run CHKDSK only if a problem has arisen that needs sorting or after installing a new drive to make sure that it has not been damaged in transit and has no bad sectors.

Scandisk is a similar process which is no longer used with XP and on. It may even have stopped with the infamous Windows ME!

Xpilot

17. badger

badger Registered Member

Thank you Xpilot for your reassurance. I have done a CHKDSF and all is well. Thanks again. J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.