Facebook to release ID of users who abused woman online

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Daveski17, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

A woman who was abused on the internet has won court backing in her bid to gain the identities of those who targeted her.

Nicola Brookes, from Brighton, was falsely portrayed as a paedophile and drug dealer by internet trolls.

She has been granted a High Court order asking Facebook to reveal the IP addresses of people who had abused her so she can prosecute them.

BBC News Sussex

Trolls on Facebook, surely not? :blink:

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Good, glad to see this. I would have told her to grow a backbone and use the ignore function though, had it not been for someone committing a crime under her name. This also points out how very easy it is to use fake accounts on Facebook...and also to use privacy settings and not post stuff you don't want seen by a lot of people. Well, actually, this is a pretty good example of why you should avoid Facebook.

I wonder what she could have possibly posted about the contestant to warrant such a response?

3. Daveski17

There have been a number of bullying cases on Facebook if I remember correctly. I just hope the right culprits are prosecuted.

Yeah, preferably avoid like the plague. I've never seen the attraction of Facebook. I'm sure I'll punch the next person to ask me why I don't have an account.

I'm not actually sure who Frankie Cocozza is anyway, even after googling the bloke! If I watch any telly these days it's usually BBC 3/4 or a decent movie or sitcom. I hate 'talent' shows, reality shows & all of the other cheapo shows these days on the gogglebox.

Oh, & I would like to apologise on behalf of the British people for inflicting Jeremy Kyle on the US public. LOL

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

He was a contestant on a TV show here..but he got booted off in January..so this story is a little behind the times, lol. Either that or the court and Facebook were slow as hell in helping the woman. Don't worry about Jeremy, our biggest source of headaches is Canada.

5. Daveski17

Yeah, Crown Court ... not a particularly fast thing.

I'd like to send Kyle to Canada ... or Mars ... or further still. ;)

6. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

I've seen what facebook gives government and police authorities report wise, if the trolls obfuscated their origin IP correctly then this case will die after the release of the information.

7. Daveski17

I suppose it all depends on how clever the trolls actually are. I wonder if any of them actually did obfuscate their IPs.

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Why you don't have a Facebook account?
    Your so outdated Daveski . . . :rolleyes: :D
    Stop being paranoid and join the bandwagon!!
    /Troll

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Bandwagons are overrated, we prefer our own drum beats :D Besides, paranoia (hardly when the risks are real) isn't the only thing that keeps some off of these things. Frankly, I get bothered enough in real life by people as it is without them stalking me on Facebook too. I don't particularly need people all up in my business, and if folks need to know where I am/what I'm doing, they know how to get me.

10. Daveski17

Outdated isn't so bad, unless it's flared trousers of course. ;)

As for waggons ... I tend to fall off them regularly. Don't knock paranoia, it can pay to be a little paranoid.

11. Daveski17

Yeah, I can definitely identify with that! :D

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Facebook and Twitter are kinda good in some cases, such as advertising a small company/startup company or getting your brand known by the people around you. I've seen a few new/startup companies become quite successful through social media. :D
    The best part is that it's free!!
    (As i've mentioned tons of time before i don't have a FB account)

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'll agree with you all day and night that things like Facebook are fantastic for uses such as you mentioned. I think Twitter is actually better for them, but we're going down the wrong track, hehe.

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Okay. I'll stop. :D :rolleyes:

15. Daveski17

16. techdummy

techdummy Registered Member

Just one more reason, out of the many, why I'm so glad I never jumped on the FB bandwagon. Too much idiocy, not enough staff to give a damn about it.

It's the craigslist of social networking.
    o_O

17. Daveski17

I've never used FB so it's difficult to say, but that sounds about right.

ROTFL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4sALru9IJk

18. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Internet drama ...
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.