FaceBook 1st Party Cookies Mitigation

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Lyx, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Lyx

Lyx Registered Member

Now that FB is deploying "1st party cookies useable by third parties", I wonder what the workaround mitigation could be (apart from avoiding FB): I currently use FF with 1st Party Isolation enabled, plus uBlock in advanced/medium mode (3rd Party, 3rd Party Scripts, 3rd Party frames blocked) I use others addons to such that than PrivacyBadger, CanvasBlocker, etc, but I think tat uB and FPI are the 2 main tools concerning isolation from third party.
    What are your advices for this problem?

2. Stefan Froberg

Stefan Froberg Registered Member

The same things that work for 3rd party stuff can be applied to 1st party stuff too but
    it won't be very easy (you can't just do "block all from adthis.com" or similar when faced with 1st party).

The only problem is, the offending script, pixel etc...whatever method the FB is using, needs to
    be recognized and then blocked with custom rule until uBlock and similar software catch up with
    this crooked behaviour.

So basically, you could start blocking everything from FB domain (and subdomains) and then:
    1. check the uBlock log, choose something that could be actual needed for usage and unblock that.
    2. Test. Does it work? No? repeat step 1.

For example here's uBlock dynamic rules that allowed me to login to my ancient FB account by the method of trial and error:

upload_2018-10-29_22-1-22.png

And after that check the uBlock origin log if it needs fine tuning:

upload_2018-10-29_22-2-28.png

As you can see it blocks pixel.facebook.com. Now is this that famous 1st-party-to-3rd party cookie that the news reported? Without some test case I have no clue .... maybe gorhill already added the needed protections? :)

EDIT: Blocking embedded scripts too will still allow login and seems theres no breaking things ....

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  3. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

This topic has been covered in this thread already.

4. __Nikopol

__Nikopol Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.