F-Secure's 4 Scan Engines

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pvsurfer, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

We use F-Secure's AV Client Security v6. We are quite satisfied with this product, but I'm curious about its scan engines. Whenever a manual/scheduled scan is performed, I've noticed that it reports the use of the following 4 scan engines:

F-Secure AVP: 6.00.169
    F-Secure Libra: 2.03.06
    F-Secure Orion: 1.02.37
    F-Secure Draco: 1.00.35

From what I've read in this forum, the 'AVP' engine is by Kaspersky, but I was wondering about the others. Can anyone give me some info on them? o_O

2. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

Yes, AVP is the Kaspersky engine. I believe Libra is F-Secure's own definition based engine and Orion is their own heuristic based engine. I think Draco is something new or possibly an Antispy engine? I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong.

3. pvsurfer

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll see if F-Secure's Customer Support will give me a definitive answer. :doubt:

4. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Orion etc is ther own engine.

5. jg88swe

jg88swe Registered Member

Please post the awnser here, im quite interested too :)
    Goint to use it on my parents computer untill the Swedish version of NOD32 comes out :)

6. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

F-Secure AVP: 6.00.169 -> Kaspersky
    F-Secure Libra: 2.03.06 -> F-Secure's Signature's Based Engine
    F-Secure Orion: 1.02.37 -> F-Secure's Heuristics Engine
    F-Secure Draco: 1.00.35 -> F-Secure's Adware Engine (Ad-Aware based)

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

And thats yet another time I guessed correctly! :D

8. pvsurfer

9. Sputnik

It's easy done with 3 D's ;)

1) Download
    2) Double click
    3) Done

10. pvsurfer

StyleWarz~ Ok, let me see if I did this correctly. because it doesn't seem to have taken (at least there was no indication that it was applied)...

I downloaded the 2 hotfix zip files into a new 'Updates' sub-folder I created in the F-Secure directory. I then unzipped each hotfix into the 'Updates' folder and clicked on each extracted executable (iuupd.exe), but it never gave me any indication that it ran! :doubt:

11. Sputnik

Ok let me help you, since you make it yourself to difficult ;) The ".fsfix" are selfextractors assocated with F-Secure. Just download them and put them on your desktop. Then double click them (don't extract) and you'll get a screen asking to install the Hotfix with a Yes or No option. Then you'll get a screen where you can see the progress of the installation. :)

12. pvsurfer

Well, after doing it the way you suggest, it said they were already applied, so I guess it did take when I ran them. Just no way of knowing that at the time! :oops:

Thanks for your help... Other than for lack of update instructions, my co-workers and I are extremely satisfied with FSAVSC.

13. Sputnik

Please keep us updated of your experience with F-Secure's Client Security :) I'll might can help you with questions, doubts...

14. pvsurfer

Will do... As mentioned before, we've only been using FSAVCS for a few months (ever since v6 came out), but so far we are extremely satisfied with the entire suite... seems to do a very thorough job! :)

15. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

This is slightly off-topic, but is it possible to run the latest F-Secure Anti-Virus (not the other parts in the security suite) as follows:

1) on-demand only (no real-time protection)
    2) automatatic updates on startup of Windows
    3) no resident software pieces running in windows memory

I'm able to run AntiVir PE like this and I like it a lot as a back up scanner (on-request only, no pieces running in memory, unless I request a scan).

16. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I would like to know about this as well, I never saw replies to previous inquiries about this.

17. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

I don't know about Security Suite, but this isn't possible with their AV2005 product. Even when I select the "unload" option, I still have 5 processes running in the background using about 2MB (8MB Virtual Memory). I prefer kaspersky in this respect as you can completely exit the program if you only want to use it as an on demand backup scanner, and it's slightly cheaper too :)

Ned

18. does f_secure uses kaspersky signatures ?

19. pvsurfer

1) Yes - real-time scanning and/or email scanning can be disabled.
    2) Yes - actually, that's the default configuration.
    3) No - at least not with FSAVCS (which also includes a firewall), but perhaps with the standalone AV.

20. pvsurfer

Yes - as well as their own sigs and heuristics (as StyleWarz kindly reported above).

21. Hi guys,

I've noticed that F-Secure as well as Norton use something called "Backweb". Can someone please tell me what that is and what it does?

Thanks, Frank

22. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

It's used to update the virus definitions in the background and also to send notifications and news to your machine. I believe it's actually backweb lite and some programs like spybot detect it as spyware. Obviously if you have F-Secure running you shouldn't remove it.

Ned

23. pvsurfer

Frank, in addition to Ned's explanation, here's what F-Secure has to say about its update agent (i.e., Backweb):

http://www.f-secure.com/products/backweb/

Fwiw, Backweb is also used by others for a similar purpose (e.g., by HP). Some members around here have expressed disdain for Backweb (and some AS products falsely identify it as spyware), but I have not seen any harm from its use by either F-Secure or HP.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  24. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Attached Files:

25. pvsurfer

Chubb~ I can only comment on FSAVCS 6 and from what I can see, it does not use F-Prot, just the scanners mentioned above (unless it is disguised under one of those scanner-names!). ;)
    ~pv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.