F-Secure

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by chaos16, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Heavens Sakes, surely you aren't implying that Symantec cannot detect Sasser Worm? All the major AVs were detecting Sasser on the day of its release into the wild. Sasser is a network worm which exploits the LSASS vulnerablity and if a corporate network gets infected, it is a Network Security issue, not an Antivirus issue. Improperly configured corporate firewall, or network security breach from an employee, or unpatched system which should have been patched, or something similar, let the Worm inside the network -- you cannot blame that on the perimeter AV, it is a network security issue. Whatever security breach allowed that Worm in, would have done so regardless of the AV being used. No offense but I suggest you get your facts straight before misdirecting blame like that. ;)

2. javagreen

javagreen Registered Member

Not once have I said anything negative about Symantec's AV, I merely said that Symantec's AV did NOT detect it, for whatever reason (and the virus database not being up-to-date is NOT the reason)

I'm no n00b to networking and practices. An AV is one of the integral applications in the security toolkit of any user nowadays (home or corporate) and although I dont know if my friend had patched his windows or not, I believe that its the AV's job to lurk around the system and keep the system safe from trojans and the like. Thats why it exists on the system, in the first place.

Just for the record, I havent fully patched my system yet because I had done a slipstream install with a pretty old beta SP for 2k3 which does not have numerous updates and because of that beta SP i'm unable to apply any patch. And I STILL havent got infected, F-Secure manages to stop all nastiness in its heels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.