F-Secure

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by chaos16, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Feel free too, pick what you like... But your doubt is not needed, F-Secure will deliver you superb protection :)

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Maybe you should try 14-day trial of GDATA AntiVirusKit 2005 - Everyone says its a really good product - uses two engines, BitDefender and KAV - my eScan is based on AVK and it is an excellent protector evn though it uses only KAV engine...

So you should try AVK.

Heres the link:

http://space.gdata.de/dl_shop/shop/avk2005e_trial.exe

Regards,
    Firecat

3. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Glad you are rolling on Thorny . And Stylewarz . You use F-secure yet , you would " murder " for Arcavir . Could you explain as I am curious about F-Secure .

4. Sputnik

I can explain you... I've F-Secure running on my own computer, wich is fast enough... My gf had a old computer (450MHz, 128mb ram) she needs a light antivirus, like Acravir ;)

5. Firecat

I can give you a PCC 2002 OEM edition...never used it since I have eScan from MicroWorld..The CDKey is still lying around so if anyone wants it tell me and I'll PM you...

6. Sputnik

If PCC 2002 is still updateable yes pls sir ;)

[edit]
    Still for download too: http://www.trendmicro.com/download/product.asp?productid=1
    [/edit]

7. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I DL'ed F-Secure yesterday onto my spare comp and was very surprised at how robust my comp (AMD 1.0GHz) is with it installed. I thought there would be a noticeable slowdown but not so. I am very impreesed.

8. Firecat

9. Sputnik

No need to appologiese... Thanks you very much :)

10. Sputnik

I'm glad about that... Please keep us updated with your experience with it :)

11. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

So far F-SECURE is working very well, I use Kerio 2.1.5 firewall, Extendia AVK Pro as an on demand/bu scanner, M$ anti-spyware and no conflicts with these apps. F-Secure updates automatically daily (2 today) and you won't notice unless you check the log.
    I have left the settings at default so far but may try some adjusting later.
    The initial install downloads/updates were a bit time consuming, but the daily updates are unnoticeable as I said. There is no lag at all when tasking. It did a bit when I opened my downlaod folder, but it is full of DL'ed apps. Photshop doesn't even lag with FS.
    I have run everything I have on it with no problem, Video editing, music editing, burning cd/dvd's, one thing I cannot speak to is effect on game machines, I am not a gamer so you are on your own with that.
    I never tried FS before because I knew I would not pay $60+ for it, but if the price stays at $32 when the trial is up, I will buy it if it continues to perform like this.
    It is odd, I did a search for F-SECURE and there is not a lot of comments by users, some mostly refering to FS creating a drag and some questions on it's detections, which seems to be very good, but not much else or I missed them.

Regards

12. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

F-Secure, despite my initial misgivings about it (especially the friggin' re-download process) works seamlessly on my system (P4 2.8C, 512MB). I had initial misgivings (besides the download dump) since I used Kaspersky 5 before on another system (P4 1.7A, 768MB RAM) and it took 5 hours just to scan the whole system!

So yeah, I might extend the subscription when it expires. However, not at $66 a year. Hope they will consider lowering renewal fees.

13. Sputnik

I'm glad to hear this comments... I think F-Secure is alot better then most people (want to) think ;)
    Pls keep us updated and post if you may have problems :)

14. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

On the FS purchase page for US the cost is $39.95 and renewals are $28.00 which makes more in line with average prices for other AV's. Currently at;
    http://www.f-secure.com/protectyourpc/ you can purchase for $32.00 USD.
    Hopefully, these prices will remain in effect for sometime and I think you will see some people maybe migrating to F-secure if it remains this stable.
    I do not know how responsive their tech support is, that always seems to be sticking point with a lot of AV's. I trialed DrWeb and really liked it, very light, but tech support was out to lunch.
    I am trying different apps to see if any FP's show up, so far, nada one.
    Also I seem to remember Jotti removing F-Secure because he stated that it was basically the same as Kaspersky. I may be wrong but I think he did.

Anbody using the suite with the firewall? If so, how effective is it?

15. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Found this pretty hilarious!

:D :D

"Grandma Tested"

Attached Files:

16. Grumble

Grumble Registered Member

Does F-Secure offer configuration options, e.g. can a user choose which combination of engines to run?
    (three engines provide seven different possibilities, quite a selection!)

17. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I don't believe you can specifically set what engine/s run in the configuration.
    It only allows you to set for instance; 1.scan all files 2.scan defined files 3.scan inside compressed files (can be set in combination with first two options)

I have the RTM set to scan all files only,
    email set to scan all files and compressed files
    On demand is set to scan all files and all compressed files.

I just set these today to see what effect it would have, previously I was running default.
    So far the comp remains very robust but Full system scan will probably take more time to complete though.

18. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

with regards to the engines to run, i think you can't after you install it. but you can choose the engines to install. or at least that's what i read here sometime ago.

anyway, my wishlist for fsecure is this:
    i) lower download sizes please (20MB setup + 40MB updates after installation is a bit too much, though I am on a dsl line)
    ii) lower renewals/ purchase fees ($66 is a bit too much. Am on the MSFT trial though). Hopefully this is already decided on.
    iii) backweb? i know some won't like it installed in their systems. kindof neutral here.

19. Sputnik

Yes, all scanners get configured with only one settings panel... No need configure each scanner it's own :p
    I know the on-demand scan is quite slow, but it's worth the wait ;)

Thanks for your postings, keep us updated with your F-Secure adventures :p

20. PixelHermit

PixelHermit Registered Member

Well, you asked about F-Secure Anti-Virus 2005, so you shouldn't feel safe. The F-Secure Anti-Virus 2005 is an excellent anti-viral program, as far as I can tell, but it has no built-in firewall whatsoever. For that you would need F-Secure Internet Security 2005, which inlude both anti-virus and a firewall. You can download a trial version of that one instead. Even better would be F-Secure Anti-Virus Client Security. It's really a business solution rather than for home use, and therefore a bit pricier. However, if it's properly configured it scans a wee bit faster than the version for home users, and need a lot less system resources. All in all, it seems a bit sturdier than the "personal use" 2005 versions.

21. javagreen

javagreen Registered Member

I run a Windows 2003 Server machine to serve a handful of ppl and also use it for things like Surfing etc and I've been using F-Secure for windows Servers for more than 2 years now. I've used the versions 5.41, 5.42 and now am on version 5.50 of F-Secure for servers.

In these past +2 years I've had F-Secure kill plenty of trojans/other malware and have never been infected. I havent noticed any slowdown in my system performance either (AMD AthlonXP 2000+ with 512 MB)

F-Secure hasnt failed me even once and I'm mighty impressed with its detection AND cleaning abilities and the overall protection + high performance it offers me so I give it a 10/10.

The only complaint I have is that I dont see a option on how to configure email protection.. but I dont use any e-mail clients, so maybe thats why. I use just the standard webmail like gmail etc.

A friend of mine runs a similar set-up like mine but with Symantec Corporate AV (10.0) and has been infected with nasties like Sasser etc. Also prior to this when we were on XP, Norton AV 2002/2003 has let him down.

22. Firecat

Again the problem is here. The slowdowns are a problem of Win9x/Me/2000/XP/NT Home Versions, not the server or corporate versions.

Detection and cleaning is nice though.

23. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Could you clarify that. Windows 2000, XP pro and NT are business operating systems according to Microsoft.

24. Bob

Bob Registered Member

I use at home the PEX beta version of F-secure.
    It is now about 45 Mb.
    As amateur I tested the firewall, I hope more expert users will test it.
    If you enable application launch and manipulation control it stops:Leak test, toolLeaky, firehole, Yalta, pcAudit and AWFT and more.
    Bob

Attached Files:

25. Firecat

NT = Business
    2000 = Business
    XP = Home+Business

The home user versions like F-Secure AV 2005, F-Secure IS 2005 are the ones which have reported slowdowns. The corporate versions seem to run smooth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.