F-Secure ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by root, Apr 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. root

root Registered Member

Once again I am playing around with F-Secure. I really like KAV 4, but when I run it as resident, it takes forever to open some programs and my file manager.
    I tried reinstalling NOD32 yesterday, but when I did the install and rebooted, my box would not reboot. It would not load Windows. Had to go into Safemode and delete it. Tried again with same results. This was with KAV uninstalled. Something about my setup now that will not work with NOD32. I don't get it because I was running NOD a couple of months ago.
    So, back to F-Secure. I don't understand why it doesn't seem to do well on the comparison tests. It seems to work quite well for me. I have had it catch js.seeker and a couple of macros. It catches the few virii I have in a test folder.
    Anybody have any good or bad experiences with F-Secure? I have never had anybody tell me they have seen it miss anything.
    I am running TDS3 resident, so I'm thinking I should be safe enough, especially if I scan all downloads with KAV as a backup.
    Comments?

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Hi, root!

Have you tried contacting NOD32's tech support? or perhaps posting in their forum? I would!

But to address your question re: are you safe enough.

To the best of my knowledge, F-Secure is an excellent program - it, coupled with TDS and as savvy as you are about avoiding the common virus 'traps', should keep you safe until you get your problem with NOD straightened out.

(I have NOD32 and AVG (free) running side-by-side in SYSTRAY and am not experiencing any problems - you may wish to consider adding AVG if you can get for free where you are).

HTH Pete

3. root

root Registered Member

Thanks Pete, but I wouldn't know what to say to Esset. The version I installed, I had running on my machine several times before. I can't really blame NOD32.
    I kind of like F-Secure. I downloaded a few more trojans and virii, left them zipped, and scanned with F-Secure. It caught them all. Seems to me like all I have to do is stay updated and trust the virus def's keep up to date.
    If I can just get Wayne to get TDS4 out the door now.  :D

Edit: I forgot to mention, I will no longer post anything at Beckys. I don't want anything to do with that board anymore. Too bad because there's some great people there.

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi root,

F-Secure is a very nice and trustworthy AV - no doubt about that. IMHO it's too expensive, but doing the job quite well.

In case you want to (try to) solve your NOD32 problems, don't hesitate to drop me an email (see my profile). propably will speed things up.

regards.

paul

5. root

root Registered Member

Thanks Paul. I think I will just stick with F-Secure for awhile.
    To find out whats going on with NOD32, I am going to have to disable everything from loading and then enable one at a time to see whats going on, and I just don't want to mess with that right now. I have too many projects going already.
    Your reassurance that F-Secure works well satisfies my questions for the time being.
    Will definately try NOD32 again if and when they come up with a new version. ;)

6. swisscoms

swisscoms Registered Member

Hello Root, I have F-Secure on my PC now, and find it to be excellent. Their support staff in Finland are also very friendly and very fast to respond. I have tried scanning Zips from thier own site containing Eicar, and it catches everytime. It is a little expensive, but you do get first rate performance and peace of mind that one can't put a price on. I am surprised they don't get more exposure in the Press. Regards, Peter.

7. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Yes indeed, I also found that F-Secure is an excellent Anti-virus program. Yes it's expensive but it does outstanding job against malicious codes...

Technodrome

8. root

root Registered Member

Thanks for the replies guys.  :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.