F-Secure reviewed at Remove-Malware.com:Bad results

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by emperordarius, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

The annoying fact is not that F-Secure couldn't remove the sample, but that it displayed tons of popups, it made anything unusable..:doubt:

2. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

IMHO any av may have a problem with a piece of malware. Example my daughter got vundo on her's it snuck past Nod3, I removed it with F-secure...is one better than the other? NO bottom line is in the case shown F-secure didn't do well on that one sample, that's all , all AVs have a weak point, nothing is perfect...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  3. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Yes its all anecdotal. Like I said before, some of the ones hes tested to remove malware, I've used on my friends computers and they didn't work.

I'm a little out of my depth here too cuz I don't know understand the windows lower level stuff. My logic is here that if malware is already installed, it has as deep access to windows as any av does and it is there first. So it can do lots of things to prevent an av from functioning properly. Does that make sense?

4. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Gee. maybe software should be design to never let it in the first place. after all if it cant detect it, It sure the hell cant remove it. plain and simple fact is you should stop the infection before it ever got to that stage. its like trying to put a band aid on something that needs stitches. if your AV misses it, Image and restore is the only way to go. to make sure your cut don't get infected once again. But then again some "Fan Boys" hold on to the Removal of a virus as top priority. Even if there favorite AV could not detect the infection in the first place. :cautious:

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Slow? How slow?

6. risl

risl Registered Member

Not as a top priority, but it doesn't hurt to have that quality.

7. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

I am not saying F-Secure is good or bad, I just feel this test here is really stupid. Once your computer is heavily infected, you don't rely on the av's removal to save your ass. Why? because I can safely say that no one single av could remove all the viruses AND repair your system to a good state. Maybe some av could remove more viruses, some could remove less, but in that case, you'd better go and image your system back. The main function of an AV is real time prevention to keep the viruses away from your computer rather than remove the viruses afterwards, because once infected, your system may be already well destroyed----whether or not your AV can plant itself on that "damaged system" is a question already.
    In one word, it's very stupid relying your av to remove 1000 viruses AND repair your totalled system. Gee!!!

8. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

Days or weeks. It's slow. When I was not a collector in F-Secure system I received reply in some hours. I really don't understand it. If I'm a collector I suppose that I find new malware and that the malware need to be added to detection. I get a lot of new malware directly from creators website sometimes... but I send the samples and need to wait for 1 week to see F-Secure detecting. In 1 week the malware is present worldwidely.
    F-Secure has the sample that I sent but it's not detected yet.
    It's not only about F-Secure. Most all AV companies are very frustrating about it. Probably Kaspersky and Avira are the two that don't go in that way.

9. wildvirus88

I agree about it. The video is being super-estimated. If we search we find a lot of videos showing AVs failing... NOD32, kaspersky, Avira, F-Secure... All fail sometimes.

10. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

That's true but instead of giving that amount of popups couldn't it just say that the threat couldn't be removed? Or perhaps the adware was specifically designed for F-Secure?

11. wildvirus88

You are super-estimating the video.
    You show something like it and say that F-Secure is a bullshit that is no functional and do nothing about protection.
    Firstly, we know that no AV detects 100% of malwares. Second, the malware in video is already in the system. It's more difficult to remove an installed malware.
    I consider that F-Secure failed not by detection but about the difficulty to remove the installed malware and a lot of pop-ups that it showed.
    Despite the failing I say that at least F-Secure tried. Probably many AVs haven't detected the malware.
    I see difficulty of F-Secure to change the number of processes the AV uses (despite less resource usage 14 processes scare users) because they created an structure based in these processes. I criticizes other aspects of F-Secure and I think they can improve the AV faster. But get F-Secure and define it as garbage because it didn't remove a sample and put F-Secure in the same level of poor AVs because of one sample and/or one fail is so sensationalistic and nonsense that I have to think if have no other companies behind the "news".
    This kind of proclamation coming from users of NOD32/Norton/Dr.Web and other AVs that I consider totally poor is trust-less.
    We can see a lot of videos of fails of all AV software. If we want we can create a lot of videos of many AVs with the same purpose.

12. 3xist

3xist Guest

That's why you have Prevention as your first line of defense, Not detection. ;)

Josh

13. saberfox

saberfox Former Poster

The Comodo slogan again. Too bad it isn't of much use unless you know what it is you're preventing.

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Actually detection is prevention by itself... If you detect something before you execute it, isn't that prevention? I think it is...

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

No, you have to detect before you can protect. Protection is meaningless if it never detects anything. So you detect first, then protect, or clean.

16. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

I'm not sure I agree with that. You want to prevent the stuff from getting on your system in the first place instead of letting it get very close to your PC and stop it at the gates. The change something slips through is eminent.

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I see your point, but how do you know you are protecting against malware if there is no detection. Hence my sig. Works well Avira detects and a reboot with SD protects.

18. Eagle Creek

Well I do think I know what you mean but I like to see it in a bit other context.
    If you block everything, nothing (and nothing bad) can get executed. You don't need detection either.
    If you are going to allow everything you have to rely on your detection system to filter the bad things out. Since those systems don't have a detection rate of 100% you always have the change of being exposed to some kind of danger.

I know a zero tolerance blocking policy isn't much of a usable environment but I think prevention is #1, then comes detection.

"If it doesn't come to your gate, the hole it the gate will be unused".

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

cant argue with that. As long as either approach works, is what counts.

20. 3xist

3xist Guest

Detection= Signatures.
    Prevention= Behaviour, etc.

How can "detection" detect something if it's not in the baddie list? If an AV doesn't have a signature for example, you're pretty much gone, and NO AV detects everything under the sun. Even testing organizations don't have every malware in the world to test AV's, But this is for another day. :p

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

But how many times has Aigle shown where protection software lets something pass. In the end, their is no horse and cart as far as first, you just want to make sure you have a horse and cart.;)

22. 3xist

3xist Guest

All in all layered security is the way forward.

Prevention
    Detection
    Cure.

23. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I agree with you, but don't you think that the same result can be obtained using a multi-layered defense especially HIPS-based ?

24. Eagle Creek

I think using a good HIPS would be a pretty decent solution :).
    Behavior blocking is almost unavoidable.

25. 3xist

3xist Guest

They can't get enough processes...I think I counted 16. :S

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.