F-Secure problems....

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ChrisP, Mar 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I have been usinf F-Secure for a few years now and have never had any real problems with it - however recently (since a few days ago - see: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=24045;start=105) It has been running very very slowly and gets to the point when it grinds to a halt.

I normaly run FAT32 but have just converted to NTFS - which helps F-Secure run faster upto where it has scanned about 10000 files, then it grinds to a halt (under FAT32 it only got to 4000 files then died)

I have done a fresh install since the probs in the thread above, but Im wondering if:

I could possibly have a rootkit on my system - transfered somehow from the old instalation.

Having Trojanhunter installed has caused a conflict - however, it scans slowly even if I uninstall TH - would TH have left anything behind (I even deleted the TH directory after uninstall)

Any help welcome

2. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

so you did a format /reinstall? no way can a rootkit survive that--

if the th folder is completely gone there's usually no leftovers

do you have f-secure with f-prot engine or with libra engine?

3. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Libra engine (5.42)

Is this any better than 5.41 (F-Prot)?

I have been infected with that BlackICE worm - so my HD got corrupted. Not funny at all - if it had collapsed a few hours later then I would not have been able to present a vital proposal this monday - costong me in the region of £50K. I could easily prevent any more of these worm attacks - I would simply find whoever was responsible for making and releasing any worm - and shoot them on live TV - broadcast around the world. Nice one, no more worms!

Anyhow - as a result I have just done a fresh install - and find F-Secure is running REAL slow again and makes the system grind to a halt.

May install 5.41 again

4. liang_mike

liang_mike Registered Member

Since you are using version 5.41 now, I would suggest that you try the newest version, which is version 5.42. Maybe it will address your problem.

http://www.europe.f-secure.com/anti-virus/webclub/corporate/avwks5.shtml

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

This may sound like a silly question but have you contacted F-secure support yet. It is possible this is a known problem and they may have a fix for it.

6. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I use 5.42 - the latest, even tried 5.41 - but just the same.

My notebook dies a few weeks ago and since I have been using a borrowed PC which uses an nfofce driver for the mainboard. Im 99% sure F-Secure does not like this.

I have given up with messing about with F-Secure and so have decided to use my friends Norton AV - which works fine!

7. StevieV

StevieV Registered Member

I had a very similar problem when I tried F-Secure 2004 trial recently. The problem was that F-Secure doesnt play well with ZoneAlarm. I decided to keep ZoneAlarm and went back to KAV. Hope this helps.

Steve

8. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

there's now a hotfix available for f-secure in regard with ZA problems

http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/downloads/hotfixes/av5-hotfixes.shtml

i can't comment on the detection abilities of the libra engine, but one thing is sure:the libra engine greatly increases f-secures hunger for ram and cpu time..

your pc has at least 256mb of ram? and a fast cpu?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.