F-Secure problems....

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ChrisP, Mar 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I have been usinf F-Secure for a few years now and have never had any real problems with it - however recently (since a few days ago - see: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=24045;start=105) It has been running very very slowly and gets to the point when it grinds to a halt.

I normaly run FAT32 but have just converted to NTFS - which helps F-Secure run faster upto where it has scanned about 10000 files, then it grinds to a halt (under FAT32 it only got to 4000 files then died)

I have done a fresh install since the probs in the thread above, but Im wondering if:

I could possibly have a rootkit on my system - transfered somehow from the old instalation.

Having Trojanhunter installed has caused a conflict - however, it scans slowly even if I uninstall TH - would TH have left anything behind (I even deleted the TH directory after uninstall)

Any help welcome

2. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

so you did a format /reinstall? no way can a rootkit survive that--

if the th folder is completely gone there's usually no leftovers

do you have f-secure with f-prot engine or with libra engine?

3. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Libra engine (5.42)

Is this any better than 5.41 (F-Prot)?

I have been infected with that BlackICE worm - so my HD got corrupted. Not funny at all - if it had collapsed a few hours later then I would not have been able to present a vital proposal this monday - costong me in the region of £50K. I could easily prevent any more of these worm attacks - I would simply find whoever was responsible for making and releasing any worm - and shoot them on live TV - broadcast around the world. Nice one, no more worms!

Anyhow - as a result I have just done a fresh install - and find F-Secure is running REAL slow again and makes the system grind to a halt.

May install 5.41 again

4. liang_mike

liang_mike Registered Member

Since you are using version 5.41 now, I would suggest that you try the newest version, which is version 5.42. Maybe it will address your problem.

http://www.europe.f-secure.com/anti-virus/webclub/corporate/avwks5.shtml

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

This may sound like a silly question but have you contacted F-secure support yet. It is possible this is a known problem and they may have a fix for it.

6. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I use 5.42 - the latest, even tried 5.41 - but just the same.

My notebook dies a few weeks ago and since I have been using a borrowed PC which uses an nfofce driver for the mainboard. Im 99% sure F-Secure does not like this.

I have given up with messing about with F-Secure and so have decided to use my friends Norton AV - which works fine!

7. StevieV

StevieV Registered Member

I had a very similar problem when I tried F-Secure 2004 trial recently. The problem was that F-Secure doesnt play well with ZoneAlarm. I decided to keep ZoneAlarm and went back to KAV. Hope this helps.

Steve

8. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

there's now a hotfix available for f-secure in regard with ZA problems

http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/downloads/hotfixes/av5-hotfixes.shtml

i can't comment on the detection abilities of the libra engine, but one thing is sure:the libra engine greatly increases f-secures hunger for ram and cpu time..

your pc has at least 256mb of ram? and a fast cpu?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.