F-Secure not protecting it's own services?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tookerjeff, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tookerjeff

tookerjeff Registered Member

Hello all,

I had a concern regarding F-Secure’s ability to adequately protect it’s essential services/processes. Longer ago when PCMag reviewed the 2012 version (and 2011 version as well) it was stated that, as in the previous version that:

“There’s been no change in that area. A malware writer could turn off most of the suite by writing code to stop any service with ’F-Secure’ in it’s name…” and mentioned the firewall being easily disabled as well. However, the review does state that it is difficult to terminate them fast enough as they seem to pop back up. So the protection acts a little uneven.

Does anyone know if this has been corrected including the termination of firewall protection? If this is still indeed the case I find it pretty surprising as well (maybe a little embarrasing)! I was also going to ask this on the F-Secure forum as well…

Article reference: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2395496,00.asp

Thanks! :)

2. Arin

Arin Registered Member

I do not see it as a weakness which should matter much. Ideally you are not supposed to login as Administrator. When you need to run programs with Administrator credential, run them with elevated privilege. You follow that then that should cover you most of the times. If your OS has holes which can be exploited then plug it or change the OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.