F-Secure IS 2007 v KIS 6.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Simon6776, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

Better than F-Secure 2007?

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have never liked norton ever.
    with its yellow interface thats a marketing device and slows your computer down to much.
    but f-secure slows down the pc quite alot as well.
    thats why i like kis6.0 because it has all the protection but with icheckers and iswift it doesnt slow your pc down.
    and thats also why i like nod32 and antivir because they both great fast scanners and great detection rates as well.
    i dont fill any less protected with kaspersky than i did with f-secure.
    i like little k icon and i know its protecting me because of the icon animates every so often.
    lodore

3. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Been meaning to get back with you on this but have been busy.

When I try to turn off any FS process, System Control pops up telling me that an app is trying to modify or kill a process and asks me if I want it to do so. This also probably goes for other important processes since I have seen this window before and it also serves the duty of self-protection. It doesn't care for other unimportant processes such as TaskSwitch.exe (XP powertoy) as it let me terminate it.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2892/systemcontrolsmpg0.jpg

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well glad we cleared that up.
    lodore

5. Simon6776

Well, in the end, I couldn't resist, and have sadly given KIS a short holiday while I test FSIS 2007 on my machine. I have to say, the installation went much more smoothly that the 2006 version ever did, despite it's insistance that Ad Aware was removed, and the shutdown problems I had before, are no longer apparent at the moment (but it happened randomly with 2006). Updates completed fairly quickly, a few tweaks to the settings (why isn't web traffic scanning enabled by default, and why doesn't it also scan for spyware?), and then to the dreaded initial scan. That's when the wheels fell off. Just like the old version did so often, it got stuck on one particular file, and after 30 minutes of inertia, I had to abort the scan. This is one major failing that doesn't seem to have been fixed. It's too late to start another scan now, so it will have to wait until tomorrow, but if it fails again, it will be goodbye FSIS, and KIS's leave will be cancelled.

6. midway40

Sorry to see you still having problems with manual scanning. I haven't ran into that kind of trouble with FSAV06 nor FSIS07.

How do you have it set up for scanning? Defined or All files? Mine is set to defined plus I have set exclusions to some of my gaming directories (Call of Duty series, Quake 4) so I can save some scanning time.

I also use the "Full Computer check" option as it scans for viruses, spyware, and rootkits all at once.

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep, it should be set to defined files in my opinion (f-secure that is)

the deepguard technology and all the engines, there really is no need to scan ALL FILES, its added time (alot added) and wont be any difference in security really.

8. Simon6776

I had it set for ALL for the initial scan, but I'll change it to DEFINED, and see if that makes any difference. Are the default defined files enough, or does that require any tweaking? Have to say, a lot of the extensions listed, I've never heard of.

9. midway40

I will just say this: last week I had scanned my computer with both NOD32 and KAV and both showed my computer clean. I installed FSIS07 back in early November so it has been doing it's job in the Defined mode.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

does anyone know anyone who uses f-secure that is an unsafe surfer?
    cos thats the real test to see if it works:D
    lodore

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i can be an unsafe user :)

and i used f-secure for years, always on defined setting (not all files)
    and always came up clean, its super safe software.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so it came up with lots of blocked items?
    i know that f-secure used to protect me was i was a bit unsafe.
    i searched for payed music download in google but it took me to an unsafe site that tryed to download a trojan on to my pc.
    but f-secure blocked it right away. this was over a year ago.
    lodore

13. Simon6776

I'm really regretting this. It got stuck again not even half way through the full system scan (definied files only), so I decided enough was enough, it obviously doesn't like my machine. I am now trying to uninstall it, without much success. The uninstallation program has now been running for 15 minutes, with no end in sight. This, and the 2006 version has got to be the most troublesome program I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. How do I get rid of the bloody thing? :mad:

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

My personal opinion is that there is no safer AV or suite than f-Secure if it runs well for you.

Jerry

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep, its great software...

the people who tend to complain are people with sub-standard machines (usually)

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

is this a personal thing?:D
    my pc is fine with kis6.0 installed but wasnt when i had fsis2007 installed.
    infact my pc is running perfectly today.
    but the problems could be caused by conflicts.
    but my pc is definatly better since i got rid of f-secure.
    lodore

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  17. midway40

This was mentioned in another thread, a removal tool from F-Secure. I haven't used it myself:

ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/removal/uninstav.exe

Sorry it didn't too well on your machine.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the f-secure removal tool i used worked fine.
    it was version 10 of the removal tool i think
    lodore

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

One complaint I have with F-Secure is the lack of support. There is a real advantage to having a forum like Kaspersky and people there who are knowledgeable and responsive.
    In my view there should be an answer from support within 48 hours to problems, and within 72 hours at the outside.

No doubt that Kaspersky has no peers in that area.

Jerry

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the last email i sent to f-secure took a few days.
    they used to take like a week.
    so they improving but mainly if you say e.g. spyweeper is causing problems with f-secure they say remove spysweeper f-secure is all you need.
    if i remember correctly you got rid of bitdefender because bitdefender told you to uninstall the non compatible app like f-secure do?
    did i remember correctly jerry?
    lodore

21. midway40

I agree with you Jerry about the lack of support as far as forums go. I am used to it though when I ran Trend Micro for a couple of years as they didn't have a forum either.

A big thanks to Paul and others for this forum so FS users (and other forum-less AV users) can communicate with and help each other :)

22. Simon6776

I have to say, I find that kind of objectionable. Every other suite, and other types of software work fine on my PC. F-Secure is the only one that doesn't. How does that make my machine sub-standard?

I have every faith that F-Secure is perfectly fine, when installed on a machine with a virtually virgin hard drive, or at least, a newish Windows installation, where possible conflicts are minimised. Mine has been round the block, and I have installed and uninstalled practically every AV, Firewall and Security Suite available, although I always clean out the debris afterwards. There is quite obviously a conflict somewhere, with F-Secure, but my point is, and was before, if other software can run harmoniously on my PC, why can't F-Secure? There was no reason for the uninstallation of F-Secure to have failed. It wouldn't even let me reinstall it on top of itself, complaining that a previous installation hadn't been removed completely. Duhh! In the end, I had to remove it bit by bit, until it eventually let me reinstall it, and this time, the uninstallation was successful.

I have now reinstalled KIS, which runs like a dream, and this will teach me a lesson - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Thanks for all your comments and advice, but I think I have firmly established that F-Secure is not for me.

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

f-secure didnt work on your pc and i had quite a few problems myself.
    kis6.0 works fine on your pc and works fine on my pc thats what counts.
    the add/remove uninstall for f-secure didnt work for me and i had to use the uninstall tool from f-secure for the 2007 versions.
    but the 2006 version uninstalled fine but the 2007 version didnt and didnt have a good install eiether.
    as you say if you have a nearly new install it works fine but if its older and your pc is quite old like mine is then you have problems.
    the 2005 version of f-secure was fine on my pc.
    2006 version had some problems.
    i did noticed that the red cross on icon update problem didnt happern in the 2007 version but did in 2006 and 2005.
    lodore

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Well I agree with Chris, maybe should word it a little different though. This is a Fat Boy suite and if your system is older or your resourse level isnt that high, then steer clear. It gets about 4 miles to the gallon, and that aint good. It does a great job, actually a hell of a job, if your computer resources can handle it.

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And personally I trialed it for awhile and would take it before Kis. But that is just my take on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.