F-Secure Internet Security 2009 Release Candidate

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Ade 1, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks for the link i will test later.
    sent some bugs from the old version yesterday.
    will see if the issues are fixed with this one.
    f-secure may be slower than other suites but it will always protect you very well with an easy to use GUI.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  3. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I agree it's put a tad slowness on my machine but I have a license that 'should be good till Jan 09, I may just go to that...btw how do you know it's the RC?

4. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Just check the release notes link on that page. It says Release Candidate at the top of that document.

5. larryb52

thanks sounds good, it ran pretty good on vista, once it does the initial scan runs find for me & tho alot of processes it's the protection I like...

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello larry, right click on the file ,properties and then check the digital signiture is dated 2nd of june. this shows its the lastest version. the older version showed april 21st as the date. the bugs i reported yesterday are still there but it was partly expected. i have reported the bugs and sent f-secure a fsdiag log.

the f-secure directory in program files is 234mb.
    not as bad as i thought it would be.

7. larryb52

what issues were you having, I saw you write about updates but I didn't have that issue was there something further going on?

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok,

what are the differences in 2009?
    what are the improvements/changes?

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi Chris,
    these are the main ones
    New features:

* Core technology improvements, such as:
    o Improved malware and spyware detection and removal
    o Fast and carefree Scan Core maintainability
    * DeepGuard 2.0: DeepGuard can now make a query over the network as part of the proactive protection
    * Sidebar gadget showing protection status
    * 64-bit Vista support for Parental Control, Spam Control and Email Scanning
    * Optimized, easier and improved Parental Control
    * Install-time Performance Control for systems with less resources
    * Improved Firewall which is easier to use
    * Improved 3rd party interoperability in Parental Control and Web Traffic Scanning
    * Easier installation
    * Progress bar during malware scanning

ive got some quotes from Patrik from f-secure secuirty labs from the other 3 page f-secure thread about some of the engines have been taken out
    start quote
    Originally Posted by patrikr
    IS2009 has the new F-Secure Engine (Hydra) and Kaspersky for signature based detection. The two other engines in the product are DeepGuard for proactive/behaviour and Blacklight for rootkits.

--
    Patrik
    F-Secure Security Labs

Originally Posted by lodore
    Hey Patrik,
    does that mean the ad aware engine has been ditched?
    if so what took you so long LOL.
    does that also mean that the f-prot macro engine has been taken out?
    so the hydra engine is just an f-secure in house engine?
    i was hoping f-secure would do this.

Yes, Draco is not there and neither is Orion and Libra. And absolutely, F-Secure Engine is our own in-house engine.

--
    Patrik
    end quote
    hope this helps

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ta chuck :D

may give it a whirl, as you know... im a big fan and we have history of F-Secure. :)

11. larryb52

I think you'll like it Chris but don't judge it immediately, give it a day or 2, it boots much cleaner & not the heavier file checking that previous versions had. Yes it still checks start up files but it seems lighter in that reguard...

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

dont worry, ill notice a difference (if there is one :D ) :)

i always have an on-going licence for F-Secure, and all my family use it too.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello Larry,
    if you start a scan you will see the files it is scanning,the number of files that have been scanned and a progress bar. if you then right click on a file and click scan while the other scan is still running the first scan will say user aborted the first scan,show the button to view the report for the scan but still keep scanning. can you test?

you just start one scan and then start another scan and see if the first scan gui looks messed up and reports you have aborted the first scan.

it definatly boots faster than the older versions.
    im wondering when the f-secure engines get better weither f-secure will dump AVP?
    f-secure sure know what there doing as you can see when you read the weblogs and read about blacklight.

14. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Hi.

I installed earlier today and as time goes on I definitely feel it's lighter than IS2008 I had on before. I'm not noticing the slight sluggishness that IS2008 exhibited whilst opening files and things do definitely feel alot tighter and snappier.

One of the things I like that they've changed is when an application is blocked - before you had to open up the application list, find the application, look at details then choose 'allow' to allow it to run ok - but now the 'blocked' dialogue gives you the option there and then to trust the application and allow it to run.

I've nopticed other small changes too such as it checks hourly for updates now rather than every 2 hours.

So far, I'm liking this new version! Hopefully we'll see the official release by early September when IS2008 was released last year.

15. larryb52

I agree totally they seem very on top of things which is what is needed today...

16. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

It's the whole InternetSecurity package or there's also a chance to select the custom install to choose the AV only?

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its the full internet package with the only custom option is to not install parental control.
    you can always try the antivirus only version when it goes final.

18. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Submitted a couple of bugs and feature suggestions, hope I get a free subscription! :D :D :D

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have submitted some bugs and feature requests as well.
    got the first reply today.
    if i get a license i will be very pleased. if not then im still helping make the product better and thats the real reason for testing not for rewards.

20. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Yeah well, that is the real reason, but it does feel good if you do get a free subscription don't it? :D :D

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it sure does XD

22. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Thanks for the info Lodore.
    Then, i think i'll try the AV when it's ready.
    I'm eager to see what improvements have been made.

23. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I gotta try this out too. I hope their heuristics have improved significantly.

24. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Do you mind me asking what bugs/requests you submitted? I've just left mine running and it seems fine.

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello Ade1,
    well in the older beta not all the packages installed so i reported that bug.
    the new RC build solves that issue so i told f-secure that when they replyed today.
    the other issue was that when you had a scan running and started another the first scan said it had been cancelled showed the show scan report button but was still scanning. f-secure told me that you can only run one scan at a time so the first scan was ment to be cancelled by starting another scan but of course the fact that the first scan carried on scanning is a bug and should be fixed soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.