F-Secure Internet Security 2007 opinions?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kielty, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i agree its a great suite but i can get the same protection with lighter programs.

2. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

I agree with you.Provided f-secure is good.It's darn heavy.Why do you have to put up with all those 60k+ when you can get the same protection using kav and adaware ? F-secure uses those same engines right ?

My question is why bother with F-secure ? I do like trying diff progs myself but in this case it just doesnt make any sense to meo_O

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ye your right it does use ad aware.

kav+ad aware would be lighter the other thing is you cant really run anyother antispyware product next to it and everyone knows that ad aware has had its day.

4. Banshee

Ok, so use kav+ some other as ? I have the feeling sometimes ppl buy proggies because they like the gui and all that...:eek:

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im gonna use nod32+spysweeper+look n stop very soon. and then once spysweeper runs out i will use avg antispyware.
    i just need to get my dad to allow me to dump f-secure he doesnt understand that its bloated and nod32 is alot lighter.... any help?

6. Banshee

Lodore,

You could always uninstall f-secure.install nod32+whatever and reboot when ur dad is around .he'll see ur pc will bootup faster :D

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I had thought of that but he might be a bit mad=p

i just need to explain to him somehow that the pc will load up faster and the over pc performance will be better. and also we can then use any apps we want because of nod32 great compatibility. any help with that?

i have already send f-secure an email asking for the f-secure removal tool.

8. Banshee

well, once he sees that what you say is true he cant get mad.

Did u get the removal tool ?

9. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

The F-Secure AV is based on a modified Kaspersky engine, in-house F-Secure's Signature's Based Engine and F-Secure's Heuristics Engine (Orion and Libra engines).

It also offers Backlight for anti root kit. Also has some sort of a proactive defense style module. I'm not sure what it uses for spyware used to use adware I thought they changed?

It offers very solid protection.

10. Banshee

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

12. Banshee

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

f-secure always finds more viruses / malware than kaspersky.

this is because it uses more engines to scan for things and why it also has a bigger scan speed.

depends if you want a quicker scan speed for lower detection rate, whereas the kaspersky has one engine, which f-secure do use... f-secure also have a few others to pick up other things.

15. Banshee

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

nope, it doesnt have more fp's than kaspersky at all.

just because this one is for fsecure, there have been a few for kaspersky aswell you know.

have a link for what banshee, boot times and engines... they are somewhere on this forum, take a search :)

17. Banshee

I meant a link to more info about what engines f-secure uses and all that.

Unfortunately what ppl say here is based more opinions than facts that is why I wanted a link :)

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

it tells you what engines are installed inside in the program itself, as im using the avg suite at the moment, cannot tell you.

but im sure someone will post a screenshot of the engines, also check www.f-secure.com they have all the information on there, its just finding it. :D

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am finding FS 2007 runs somewhat better than 06, but the real improvement is that it updates faster.

It uses a lot of memory, but it does not cause me problems. Right now WTM says that I have 53 processed running and CPU usage is varying from 2 - 7%. I don't know what that is all about, but I have found F-Secure as "trouble free" as any AV I have tried. I don't think there has been a single issue with it.

I had rather have a somewhat heavier AV that runs trouble free, than a light one that has problems on my machine.

If you will just go to any forum you will find that all AVs have problems, and some folks are dissatisfied with that particular one and ditch it.

I like F-Secure, and unless Avira gets the problems I encountered fixed I will probably stay with FS if I use a paid one. Otherwise I will go with Avast Home which has also been totally trouble free on my systems.

KAV remains my favorite, but it is expensive compared to others that I like, and especially Avast Home. :D

Best,
    Jerry

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i agree... ive always rated f-secure, even back to their seperate backweb days.

toss up between f-secure / avg or the latest norton for me, others just dont enter the picture, as im always looking for the 'suite' (sweet) move. :D

21. Banshee

Jerry and Csj,

sorry for the delay in answering. I was testing mailwasher pro and I stuffed up so I couldnt find the "instant notification" that wilders sends out when u get mail.

Anyway, Csj, thanks for the info will go to f-secure.com and look for some more info.

@Jerry, I know no av is perfect and they all miss viruses,malware or mess up from time to time. I have 1g of ram and f-secure slowed my pc to a crawl.Not sure why.

It is way to heavy.Kav uses 4megs right now. Its a big diff.

I know kav is expensive but u could use the beta version if ur willing to study the av and contribute to the kav community so to say.Beta versions are not always stable but all u need to do is post on the forum (kaspersky) and they will help u out.Good tradeoff if u ask me

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have been somewhat cautious of suites. I have the impression that some part of suites are problems. It the firewall, for instance, caused problems then the whole application is a problem. However, if I use separate applications I just change the firewall.
    It would seem that a suite would be balanced well, and not cause problems, but that does not seem to be the case for whatever reason.

I would like to use a suite, but so far have been too cautious.
    Best,
    Jerry

23. Banshee

Jerry,

try kav6 beta ?

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

if you dont want a suite, get nod32 with outpost 4 and trend micro antispyware or the avg antispyware, they will work well together creating some kind of personal suite for you.

25. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Banshee,

I have KAV 6 on my desktop. In fact have a two year license.

I seldom use my laptop except for travel, and when I do it is just to check mail, and visit a few forums such as this, and maybe check in at the airline.

Accordingly, I hate to buy any AV for that, and consider the price of KAV excessive to put on that machine. I do not object to pay AVs, but do consider the cost. When I grew up it was not said, "If you have to ask you can't afford it." Instead it was, "A fool and his money are soon parted." :D

I did participate in the test the v6 beta, and then bought KAV 6. I still like it better than anything I have tried. I have not found it to be buggy, and except for the update fiasco a few weeks ago, it has run real well without conflicts.

I have found that Avast Home runs well on the laptop, and with the other security applications that I use on it I consider that I am well protected with Avast. BUT, if I could use one with better detection rates I would do so. Accordingly, I am using the free year trial of F-Secure. When it runs out next summer I will see what is available and make a choice.

Other active applications that I use on the laptop are, SAS, AVG AS, Win Patrol, UnHackMe, Spyware Guard, Snoopfree, and Kerio 2.1.5. I realize one might say get such and such, but I am confident that my system is about as well protected, and still runs well, as is reasonable. All run well together, and I do not notice the load.

Best,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.