F-Secure 2010 released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larryb52, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

2. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Yeah I agree it's somewhat difficult to find out when the last update was performed within the program.

Or perhaps this just might be an 'extra' plus not needed for the average user (seeing from other's point of view)...

3. bogart

bogart Registered Member

panda cloud antivirus incompatible with f-secure internet security.

hops this will get resolved in the future.

I thought this was supposed to be able to run along side other security software

4. spidey

spidey Guest

I tried to install F-Secure ExploitShield along with F-Secure 2010 AV and the installer for ExploitShield would not install with the AV installed. Is ExploitShield already included in the AV only install of F-Secure 2010? I thought that it was only included with Internet Security. Is there a command line option for the ExploitShield installer to allow it to install alongside F-Secure 2010 AV or are these two programs incompatible to run together?

5. Arin

Arin Registered Member

I checked and using task manager I could kill a few F-Secure processes. Of course deepguard warned me about it.

Anyway, I want to know if there is any difference in detection when you use different engines. Or is it the same baddies added to different engine databases.

The heuristic detections should be different but I am talking about signature based detections. Does F-Secure corporate products use signatures from Kaspersky and retail products from Bitdefender?

6. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I'm not sure why you would want to run both Panda AND F-Secure IS together. I've always understood that running two different anti-virus programs at the same time isn't good practice.

Perhaps someone could prove me wrong on this!

7. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

Oh dear! An age old problem rears it's head for me again. Installed 2010, no problems, and thought I'd do a full system scan. After 3 hours, it froze on one file, and wouldn't go any further. It reports 37 viruses (!), but having stopped the scan, it now won't let me get to the next screen to deal with them, so I guess I'll have to start all over again. Thanks, F-Secure, for wasting three hours of my day! Why can't there be a 'skip' button on the scanner interface, so that if it gets stuck on a file, you can skip it and continue? Overall, I think FSIS is the best suite available, but this sort of thing really annoys me.

8. bogart

bogart Registered Member

NO I figured panda cloud would run next to other security software< but now I know that panda cloud antivirus is a stand alone solution and can only be run by itself.

what about trend micro cloud can that coexist with others

9. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I've actually come across my first issue with IS2010! I use Steam to buy and download games. Since last weekend, 5 of my games would not start anymore giving me the message 'Failed to launch game: error code 51'. I contacted Steam support and have been in discussions with them ever since. At first I thought it maybe the latest update to Steam. However, I've just found out that if I 'unload' FS2010 then the games start with no problems. With it enabled again, they fail to start. This coincides with me installing FS IS2010 last Saturday.

I've checked the logs in FS and nothing is showing as blocked when trying to launch these games.

I'm going to try and add the Steam folder to the exclusions list in FS and see if that solves the problem without having to unload FS everytime I want to start a game from Steam. Will report back.

Please note - this seems to only effect some of my games whereas others, such as Half Life 2, start with no problems with FS enabled.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this if you're using Steam.

I've PMed Patrik @ FS about this too.

UPDATE - ADDING THE 'STEAM' FOLDER TO THE EXCLUSIONS LIST UNDER AV/AS SETTINGS HAS FIXED THE PROBLEM. NO NEED TO UNLOAD FS ANYMORE!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  10. JoakimM

JoakimM Registered Member

From the F-Secure web site:

http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/support/knowledgebase/article-details.html?id=14974

Hope it helps!

/J

11. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

12. JoakimM

13. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I saw that review a few days ago but guess there'll be more reviews once it's officially released to the general public which should be early September.

14. toasale

toasale Registered Member

This is the first (beta build) of any releases they've ever had beta or otherwise where the resources are light and the scan speed is profoundly better.

I am using Win 7 RTM 32bit on an old Dell Latitude (D620) and am pleased F-secure's devs, etc. have made this a viable choice!

:) ;) :cool:

15. JoakimM

My sister-in-law has a valid OEM-subscription for FSIS 2009, does anyone know when/if FSIS 2010 will be released in an OEM-version so I can upgrade her version?

/J

16. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

Very good point - but the version I downloaded from the link above, accepted my 2009 OEM licence no problem.

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

where is a download link for F-Secure 2010 where in the installer you have the option of just choosing the AV over the suite. Thank you

18. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

The license key decided what is installed. If you enter an AV only key that's what is installed. If you enter an Internet Security key then that's what you will get.

19. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

Currently yes but shortly we'll have the new engine combination in all the products. For example, the Client Security 9 beta is already available for those with an existing license agreement.

20. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Thank you Patrik, but it is still not clear. Should I assume that right now F-Secure is using signatures from Bitdefender for FIS 2010? If that is the case then the corporate products (which use Kaspersky engine) and the retail products will have different detection rates.

I haven't used the FCS Beta yet. If that one is using the Aquarious engine then there might be problems of FP/FA which will backfire in corporate environments.

Also can you reproduce the problem I noticed with self protection? Are all F-Secure processes protected by it or some key ones?

Thank you for your time.

21. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

They will, that's correct. But as said, we're working on bringing Client Security 9 out as soon as we can.

We don't expect (nor have we seen any indication of) the Aquarius engine causing more FPs than Kaspersky.

No, I haven't and I've tried on multiple systems. I always get the DeepGuard warning regardless of how I'm trying to kill the process.

22. bogart

bogart Registered Member

I know f secure has it's own deepguard technology, and wanted to know if the bitdefender b-have heuristics could not be used alongside to deepguard.

I know it's a weird question, but just wanted to know if f secure felt it was not needed since they have there deepguard tech engine

23. JoakimM

Quote:No, I haven't and I've tried on multiple systems. I always get the DeepGuard warning regardless of how I'm trying to kill the process. /End quote.

I just killed all processes relating to FSIS 2010 just using Windows. No sign of any Deepguard stopping me...should I be worried? I am behind a router´s firewall so I really hope unless I invite them no bad guys can mess around.

Coming to think of it, why would they bother? I really don´t think I my home computers are prime targets:D BUT, when companies and organizations start to use the product the problem, if it is one, gets drastically bigger I would assume.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,
    Joakim

24. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I had similar results using process explorer. I was able to kill all FIS 2010 processes without one warning from deep guard.

25. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I just tried stopping FS processes and services via task manager and everyone gave me access denied. I got a Deepguard warning when attempting to stop the FS process but just went directly to access denied message when trying to stop the services.

So not sure what's different for you guys but I certainly can't stop them! Using Vista Business x32.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.