F-Secure 2010 A sneak peak

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Nope sorry. maybe later. Although I'm not sure what you are looking for.
    I dont have all the info on F-secure

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I might, but no Lodore, it really doesnt matter now anyway.

3. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

:ninja: :cool:

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

just some information on why f-secure dropped the KL engine.
    I think I know why tbh but just wanted to know if I was right.

5. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

I think we have two unanswered questions.

Why we changed from Kaspersky to BD? Unfortunately I can't disclose the reasons why as it's all under NDA but safe to say that we're committed to providing top-notch security to our users and we feel that our new product will do that better than ever.

As to why we're not producing our own AV engine? We are, our own Hydra engine is getting really good and is adding a lot of value on-top of the 3rd party engines, both Kaspersky and BD. And it's getting better all the time which, in combination with the DeepGuard that also has a connection to our in-the-cloud servers, makes for a pretty awesome combination. But the real killer is combining all of what we do with a great 3rd party engine.

As I've said before (not remember if it was here or somewhere else), I can't wait for the first public detection tests to come out using our new product. We know how we perform based on our internal data and we've seen non-public 3rd party data as well and all I can say it's looking really, really good.

Patrik

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It's no big secret. Although F-Secure isn't mentioned, Eugene does explain in this post that it's a business decision on both sides as to why some vendors are dropping the KL engine.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

that was a reply to my questions as well.
    I didnt relise Eugene had replied to it.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Thanks for the informative post:thumb:
    I cant wait for the third party testing such as av comparitive results of new version of FS.
    I have tested most beta versions and the last version i tested i couldnt find any issues with on my pc at least.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well, thats ok as it should not be to long before 2010 is out.

10. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I'm just trying out the latest build 9.50 as I've always liked F-Secure and had subscribed to beta program a while back. I have to say from what I've seen so far they've done a great job! No slow downs that I've experienced so far. Only issue I have is that the browser protection toolbar doesn't work with Firefox 3.5 but hopefully they'll fix that before the official release (I've got WOT anyway).

11. gery

gery Registered Member

ZonaAlarm BD and Norton 360 don't work either so it is the FF fault not the their:mad: :mad:

12. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

Yep, we're working on that. The ExploitShield plugin was updated today though to support FF 3.5 so at least there's exploit protection available but no URL ratings so far.

13. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Thanks. Will the ExploitShield plugin get updated to the ISTP via normal updates or will we have to wait until the official release? Also, is the ExploitShield plugin separate to the browser protecton plugin as it only shows the browser protection plugin in FF?

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think it is the same and will be updated as such. Patrikr can say for sure. I still stand, extremely impressed with what is coming. The best way I can sum it up is, it takes F-Secure out of the congested middle of the pack, and places it among the top tier for suites.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And a very attractive price for 3 computers for 1 year.;)

16. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

Yep, it's separate. The Browsing Protection feature consists of two technologies:

- URL rating (browser plugin). Similar to WoT, SiteAdvisor etc in that it shows you the rating of the site and will block the user from going to a known bad site. Also shows the rating of URLs in search engine results and some webmail clients (gmail, hotmail etc)

- ExploitShield. This is an active component that protects against drive-by download type exploits

So one can run without the other without any problems, they don't rely on each other at all.

Speaking of ExploitShield, posted a video today of how it blocks against the new Office Web Components vulnerability; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nkQCwp2Htc

I'm pretty sure we can update the plugin module as well through the normal update channel but will check and let you know.

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I stand corrected.;)

18. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

That's great. Will wait to hear. Hopefully it will be soon as I only use FF 3.5. By the way, I use Vista x64 SP2 - will there be any decreased functionality with these plugins on this OS?

Thanks for your help and prompt response.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  19. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I agree. As I've stated before, I've noticed absolutely no slowdown at all with using this and am very excited about the official release. I've always liked F-Secure's approach to security and the technologies they use and I think this will indeed put them near the top where they belong.

I actually have a valid license for the 2009 Security Suite - I presume I'll be able to use it with the official release.

Also, I noticed that in settings 'remove viruses from web traffic' is disabled by default - does everyone leave this off or turn it on? The only thing I noticed with turning it on, as with previous versions from FS IS, is that if I go to watch a You Tube vid for example it takes sometime before it plays presumably because FS is scanning the video first. That's the only reason I leave it off but presume it's more secure to have it enabled?!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  20. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

lol u are completely wrong here. its not the browsers job to make sure every add-on or plugin is compatible for each of its version then to adjust itself for THEM, the add-on/plug-in creator is the one who must update their product to support new versions of the browser.

21. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I have to agree with you.

22. MakePB

MakePB Registered Member

I'm not happy that Kaspersky engine will not be anymore part from F-secure.
    Kaspersky is one of the most powerful engine with less false positive.

I have scanned my PC 6-7 months a go with Bitdefender online scanner and got a lot false positive. Not happy at all if decision to dump Kasperky engine will be definitive. And actually very bad move. I will probably try to find some other Av engine combo with Kaspersky engine.

btw

I saw just ZA thread "New KAV Antivirus engine. Faster and more effective than our previous engine"
    If F-secure drop in their final product KAV engine then it will be time to try ZA with new KAV engine.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  23. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

As far as I am aware, dropping the KAV engine is definitive as the ISTP has shown all along. But the BD engine is also complemented by F-Secure's own in-house hydra engine and I've yet to experience any false positives.

You're obviously a big fan of KAV so if you need to go elsewhere to have that then fine but I really think you're going over the top with your obvious disgust of FS dropping it. They have their reasons but as stated by Patrik earlier they cannot go into them.

Good luck with ZA!

24. MakePB

MakePB Registered Member

Hydra engine exist long time. It is nothing new.
    And i'm big fan of F-secure because F-secure was one of the first AV using triple engine scanning system and i have started to use it 7-8 years a go. The best combo was in my opinion KAV/F-prot engine (a couple years a go) along with own F-secure engine but decision to drop Kaspersky will force me probably to say good buy to F-secure after 7-8 years.

BD give a lot false positive and it is so annoyed.

25. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

Just a few comments. Hydra today compared to Hydra only 12 months ago are incomparable, it's like they're two different engines. Remember, it's a very young engine and therefore will take some time to mature but we're now at a level where it's starting to be very useful.

Our 2010 product will have the engine combination that's currently in ISTP so if you're feeling that you can only use a product that's based on Kaspersky then unfortunately we'll loose you as a user. On the other hand, we plan to do better than Kaspersky so hopefully you'll try out 2010 before deciding to look at something else.

I'm unfortunately unable to comment about the FP rates, even if I have thoughts on the issue. Damn NDAs :)

Patrik

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.