F-Secure 2010 A sneak peak

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

How about increasing the resolution on your screen, that will make it smaller :)

Kidding aside, I think we'll keep it the way it is right now, gather feedback (I've already made a note of yours) and see how/if we make any changes to it. I can think of a few more things that we should add/change in the popup but those are also in the backlog waiting to be considered. Product development as usual, hard to do everything at once :)

Patrik

2. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Okay, thanks Patrik.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am not knowledgeable enough to discuss the technicalities, but F-Secure has always been one of my top three AVs; the other two being KIS (which I am using now) and Avast Home.

The main reason I ditched FS was the very slow scan times, and it took a long time to load at start. It seems that the scan time has been markedly improved.

I have been a little disappointed lately with the test results, but still think it is an excellent AV, but believe that will be improved also.

When it is on the website to download I am looking forward to giving the suite a try.

Regards,
    Jerry

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

The bugs i have reported have all been fixed. bravo to f-secure.

I like the GUI in this build. the icons look great.
    In the advanced GUI I would like to see the option to view the size of the updates to be avaliable again.

so far so no bugs to report with this build.

I would assume the next build will remove even more processes.

scan time 20minutes to scan roughly 70gb I think.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  5. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I decided to give it a try. I really like it. The only problem I found was, the firewall won't pass the Leak Test at grc.com. I've tried the home, office, and normal settings in the firewall settings, but couldn't get it to pass the Leak Test.

6. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

Agree, the test results haven't been what we hoped they would be. The product hasn't been bad (except slow, we know that), but it also hasn't been very "test-friendly" in that we do a lot of stuff on execution only. We've changed that a bit in the new version so the tests should be better.

The new ISTP is on the website already, the link is in a previous post.

Patrik

7. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

Happy to hear you like it.

Lengthy reply coming up, ignore if you're tired :)

Well... LeakTest.exe clearly states that you have to select NO if your firewall asks ne the lines of "If your firewall alerts on LeakTest connecting to the Internet you have to press No or Deny." And in my testing the application control did popup and when selecting Deny LeakTest failed (ie passed). But when allowing it in the application control it of course was able to connect.

My personal opinion is that it would've been considered a failure if LeakTest.exe would've been able to connect either despite the application being blocked or if it would've been able to connect without the popup appearing at all. That wasn't the case though.

Just for fun I tried Norton and McAfee and both detected it as suspicious or unwanted program with the AV component. That's not really success :)

When allowing it to run anyway Norton allowed it through the FW without warnings but McAfee didn't, they blocked it based on application control, just like we did.

I don't really know how to do it otherwise. You can detect it as malicious (but it's not so that's a really a false positive) or you can block it through the FW through rules or application control.

Just my two cents...

Patrik

8. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

That sounds pretty good!? How does that compare to other products?

Patrik

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

around 25mins for kaspersky 2010 i think.
    I will do a scan with Kaspersky tomoz and report back.
    If i have time other products as well.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  10. Dark_Hanzo

Dark_Hanzo Registered Member

Does it use BD engine+database or just the engine?

11. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Please anyone wake me up when the AV version is ready? :D

Pity that the kav engine is gone :doubt:

12. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

w32/malware.gemini! is this new in-house f-secure engine ? or this is BD engine ? but report only show f-secure hydra engine only ??

13. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/suspicious_w32_malware!gemini.shtml

14. Graystoke

In my case when I ran the Leak Test, F-Secure's firewall alerted me with a pop up to allow or deny, but it was after the Leak Test pop up showed firewall penetrated. I clicked on deny any way, but it did no good. I ran the test three times, and all three times the firewall was penetrated.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you are saying. It's pretty late here. :)

15. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

Hmm... wierd. I did the exact same thing and LeakTest reported it being blocked. Tried again this morning and it's still being blocked. Anyone else seeing that it's allowed despite selecting Deny in the application control popup?

Patrik

16. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

It's our Gemini engine which is part of DeepGuard. 333halfevil posted a link to our description. Previously we didn't show any detection names in Gemini as it was only used on execution and we would then show a normal DeepGuard block message. Now with the advanced heuristics for the manual scan you will see the detection name in regular reports as well.

You're absolutely right though, we don't list that engine in the scan report. Filing bug report now. Thanks!

Patrik

17. Graystoke

I did a uninstall/reinstall, and firewall now passes the Leak Test at grc.com. :)

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

great graystoke. I really do like what this is going to be. I just need to get Jerry M sold on it again. Lol

19. JoakimM

JoakimM Registered Member

Speed, lightweight and attractice UI, way to go F-Secure! This is what we expected from FSIS2009 but were disappointed, but now finally...this suite will most likely rival any other come launching day!

Everything is working fine except that I experience a sluggishness moving the cursor over the Favorites dropdown menu in Internet Explorer since installing ISTP 9.5 yesterday. The sluggishness lasts for few seconds, then disappears. Closing down and opening the menu again yields the same experience. Shutting down ISTP 9.5 or using FSIS2009 removes the problem. Anyone else noticing this?

Regards,
    Joakim

20. Graystoke

Yeah, it's promising, but I had some more problems with it in just the last half hour. It kept warning me that the virus updates were very old, but when I ran the update, it said I have all the latest updates. I still had the big red X in the GUI.

I don't like the way the scheduled scanning works. I set it to scan at 4PM, it shows that it started, but it only ran a quick scan. I tried again at 4:30, the scan started, I tried to open the scanning GUI to see the progress, but I couldn't figure out how to do that. I clicked on full computer scan, but that started another scan, and I think canceled the scheduled scan. I opened the reports window, but there was nothing about a scheduled scan.

Like I said, it's promising, but it's a little buggy, for me anyway, and not crazy about the way some things are set up. Just my opinion. :)

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am going to take a look when it is finished. I am afraid to try the betas, although I did that with KIS without problems.

I hate to disturb something working well, as KIS is on both computers. AND I have licenses that are good until May 2010. Wonder how I came by them?
    I have some older box copies of FS, and I think the keys will work.

Thanks for thinking of me. I need all the help I can get.:D

Regards,
    Jerry

22. thehudd

thehudd Registered Member

Giving it a try as I've always been partial to F-Secure. One thing I noticed is during the scan CPU usage was pegged at 100% and I had to reboot to bring it back. Running Vista Home Premium SP2 64 bit, with an Athlon 64 X2 4200 and 8 gigs of ram.

23. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Thanks for the update, Patrick. FS2010 looks promising :D

24. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

It uses the BD engine + database in addition to our own engines.

Patrik

25. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

And now for the buzz kill question; will F-Secure's 2010 consumer line be priced competitively?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.