F-Protect impression

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Bunkhouse Buck, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I never tried F-Prot but i wouldn't consider this to be a nuisance :)

there's always a GUI..

2. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I have been using F-Protect the last few days and I like it. What is your current thinking on the effectiveness (detection) of F-Protect6 home edition?

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Frisk are pleased with the new version;
    Further the results over at Shadowserver remain impressive.

And FPAV 6 is well ahead of the ageing F-Prot 3 in detection rate which was sliding down the testing sites results tables very quickly (look at Command AV's performance in recent tests, which uses the F-Prot 3 engine).

But it is not yet as effective as the likes of AntiVir/KAV in overall detection and spyware/rootkit detection need to improve. Since signatures are added on a priority basis, FPAV 6 may not be the best scanner to use on high-risk sites but should give more than adequate protection to safe surfers.

Of more concern may be the speed of introducing new features and present support levels; a Vista-compatible version has still not been released and most versions over the last 12-15 months have mainly been only bug-fixes. Further, the famous support has dropped off of late because of the added pressures of being a small vendor.

4. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Thank you.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

they do seem to be a struggling company, still no vista version?

pretty shocking, even for a small company.

unless, they plan on releasing loads of things all at once :D

6. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

If their customer base has few Vista installs, there's no need to rush a Vista-compatible build.
    For example, corporations are slow at adopting new Microsoft's OSes.

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i disagree, if just ONE licence subscriber/customer uses Vista, they should release a version for it.

if i were a F-prot customer from XP, id be pretty peed off they didnt have a version released for Vista.

surely, they must have an on-going Beta still to use?

8. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

9. lucas1985

1 customer isn't a worthwhile market. If every vendor/business do this, they will go bankrupt.

10. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

Indeed, but I think we can safely assume it isn't the case here. While Vista has a slower installation rate than previous Windows versions, it still is installed on millions of machine.

11. lucas1985

And most of those millions aren't/won't be Frisk's customers.

12. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Been testing F-Prot 6 for the past few weeks and have been very impressed with it to say the least.

With vista, I turned User Account Control off immediately, so the website's suggestion of turning UAC off, wasn't a problem for me. Otherwise no Vista problems experienced.

Seems very low on resources and haven't noticed it running/updating while browsing or working.

Impressed with the real-time and browser/active x protection as there are users who will only use IE, and it's quarantined/deleted files that were on a usb which was known to have an old 'boot sector virus' from the local 'internet cafe'.

Great program...be picking up a few licences once the trial expires. :thumb:

13. kinwolf

And that is where the problem lies. Why is it taking them so long to finish developing the Vista version? It's not like there is no market there. Vista final version has been out for about 14 months now. Plus, according to the latest XP timeline, no more PC will ship with XP starting June 30th this year, and Microsoft will stop selling XP altogether Jan 1st 2009.

I understand that they are a small company, but it worries me to see them lag behind so much.

14. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

If they have a vista beta version it shouldn't take too long right.

15. kinwolf

The beta for vista 32 has been out for over 10 months and 5 months for Vista 64.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.