F-Prot?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bellgamin, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

No. I am not currently planning to trial or switch to another Av, but I like to stay informed with an eye to the future. So if the info at Majorgeeks is erroneous pressure should be brought to bear to at least change the screen shot and to say the product can be updated manually.

2. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Auto updating works for the trial version, been using it here for almost 30 days and no probs.

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  3. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

4. The Hammer

5. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

6. The Hammer

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  7. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

wow, can you say that again in english? :)

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Hmmmmmo_O

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  9. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Come on, Dave, this type of answer is really not helpful. The original poster was not talking about fluid dynamics or any such thing. He was asking if anyone had a way to accurately measure how much performance impact an anti-virus real-time monitor places on a PC. Answers like that one will simply derail a thread and cause other people to go off-topic, so let's leave those types of posts for scientific forums.

10. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Look, I'm sorry that I am not well in explaining ideas. Information is ipso facto a fluid, and is treated as such. The drag corresponds exquisitely to the the wing drag encountered in aerodynamics, id est, an instance of fluid dynamics. I was hoping that my response to the question, would allow one to find easily some relevant data on the internet. I meant no damned harm!

Dave HAL

11. rollers

rollers Registered Member

This is................window locks ?
    mortice locks ?
    yale locks ?

No, its ................BOW

12. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I've finally worked out some r.m.s. drag numbers for a program. Hope they help. DRAG = approximately constant x (# of kernel threads of program)/(total # of kernel treads) x 100 , where constant = approx. 1.25 - 1.45 for pentium IV, and about 1.55 - 1.75 for a P II or PIII, and for a P I about 1.8 - 1.9. Overtaxing a processer often produces nearly pure drag.

Dave

P.S. LowWaterMark, is this answer more along the lines of the one sought? If not, I can delete it.

P.P.S. I forgot to say, these figures assume that the processor is operating in a cool environment, e.g, 10% of its max thermal coefficient, i.e. it's not burning up. I did not have time to collect info on processors other than Pentiums. Sorry about that. Heat increases junction capacitance which both attenuates, shifts and retards the data being processed. For a very hot processor, a good approximation for Pentiums is to multiply these numbers by 15.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  13. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

I'm trying F-P on 2 my business PC: the 1st w/win 2K, the 2nd w/win XP.
    On the 1st it run very well. No slowing dowin. On th 2nd some 2/3 seconds freezings. Before I tested Dr-web on the 2nd PC too. Never had this problem. Is it possible that F-Prot like better new and fresh installation PCs?

And what about compared w/ AVG?

Best regards.
    Mike

14. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Any differences in what is running in real-time with FPAV 6 on the two machines? In this regard, you could also use the exclude function for any real-time security applications you are running with FP.

IME, it is not too fussy but make sure you have completely uninstalled any previous AV's on your second machine. So make sure for example, you have no remnants of Dr Web left. You could also try a REPAIR of FPAV from the uninstall option.

15. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Hi Blackcat.
    Any other real time security sw. IMO the 2nd PC has too old installation, 'cause of too much installation/uninstallation of security software during years: ZA ISS, BD, AVIRA, and Dr-Web and now F-P.
    May be Dr-Web react better then others in dirty/old SO installations.

The real problem is that I'm not so happy in re-building this machine. So I'm looking for and trying an AV that do not interfere too much w/ this situation.

And about AVG? Could you tell me if it is really heavier than F-Prot?

Thanks in advance.
    Mike

16. Blackcat

IME, Dr Web is a lot more sensitive to other software and prefers a clean machine. Why not try a good registry cleaner such as RegSupreme.

IME, AVG is lighter than FPAV 6, as the latters Guard scans ALL files. If you are looking for other light AVs, other candidates to try include NOD, VBA32, and AntiVir.

17. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Another good idea: I can try VBA32 (it's very cheap - that's an important aspect too :D )

M.

18. Blackcat

The new version 3.12.1 is due for release very soon. This has a lighter memory footprint and a faster scan speed than previous versions.

You can download the latest commercial release of the Personal version, 3.12.0 and then change the updater to ftp://open.by/vba/beta/update to obtain the v.3.12.1 beta. Very stable.

IMHO, RegSupreme is a better registry cleaner than CCleaner.

19. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Thank U!

I'll try it for sure.

Best Regards

Mike

20. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

new to F-prot and on the trial period.So far I like it was a smooth install runs very well and has a well laid out gui that very user friendly.I Hope it can compete in detection.

i

21. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

Just get stoned and re-read it. It's actully quite hilarious!

22. Dark Shadow

are you the former should got a dell dude that got fired for smoking weed.

23. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Lets please try and stay on topic here which is F-Prot, not being stoned, or other AV's.

Pete

24. Dark Shadow

I agree peter sorry for the off topic reply back to buzzstone could not hold back sorry.

25. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

The new !Eldorado engine was introduced last month. It's a very easy AV to use and detection has gotten better with the newer engine. Also, the on-access scanner was optimized so it feels lighter.

More about the !Eldorado engine here:
    http://forum.f-prot.com/index.php/topic,798.0.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.