f prot

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by waters, Apr 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waters

waters Registered Member

Why is it that f prot does so poorly on jottis.It seems to rarely detect,even when most others do.I use it accasionly because i get it free with isp ,and it is good ,so why so bad on jottis.

2. .....

..... Registered Member

If i remember correctly, it doesn't detect spyware and most of the sutff uploaded to Jotti is mainly spyware.

Edit: Of course with a new analysist on the books at Frisk, i assume detection ratios at jotti's and in general will improve.

Edit #2: Those stats are flawed too. AV-Comparatives is where you should be looking.

3. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

I think the fact that it does almost no unpacking doesn't do it much service either.

4. .....

..... Registered Member

F-Prot (for windows atlest) supports quite a few runtime packers.

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Can anyone confirm or comment on this assertion?

I'm not questioning the integrity of Señor 5-dots. It's just that I have never heard this before & am rather startled by it.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No, type of malware has nothing to do with that.
    Jotti is using Linux editions which work diffrent than Windows editions of AVs.
    Thats the main reason for lack of detection.
    avast! for example is known to detect much more than on Jotti (avast! linux is a bit limited with unpacking engine and stuff like that).

7. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Even avast! engine (Windows) at VirusTotal is also a bit limited in detection capabilities, I used to have some malware sample that detected by avast! on my desktop but it's not detected by avast! engine at VirusTotal.

So, such online scanner are not reliable source to determine the efficiency of an antivirus software.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Thats also true. But much less obvious than with Jotti scanner...

9. .....

..... Registered Member

Clicky ;)

10. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

When I picked up my 6 x 100 snapshots from Jotti's some weeks ago, there were many Ad-/Spyware snapshots too.

I've just checked the first 100 snapshot Set and there were 8 Ad-/Spyware and 2 Trojan-Spy named detections. Far away from mainly. :)

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.