F-Prot is losing users?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by EraserHW, Nov 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Well, F-prot is a lot of time that isn't updated....all users are waiting for v4 version but it isn't released yet.

Yes, F-prot is a very light antivirus sw but I found that its detection rate isn't as good as it was some time ago.

What do you think? Is F-Prot losing users with this v4 version that's always announced but never released?

Perhaps is F-Prot team sleeping on the laurel?

2. TNT

TNT Registered Member

As I see it, F-Prot is indeed failing to keep up with current threats.

3. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

What kind of new threats? As far I as know they up to date and on the ball in regarding to new threads.

tD

4. TNT

TNT Registered Member

No, they are not. Unless you consider spyware, dialers and trojans something totally unrelated to what an antivirus should detect (which is absurd, IMHO), F-Prot is indeed very far behind the best in my experience.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

F-Prot for Windows is still a good choice for newbies, those with older machines and those with a small Home network.

I used to run F-Prot together with BOClean; a good combination for most threats ;)

I have switched to other AV's now but will be very interested in the new version when it arrives.

6. Technodrome

My copy of F-Prot detects Trojan, dialers(even heuristically) and some spyware. I don't know what version of F-Prot you got. ;)

tD

7. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I have received two confirmations from F-Prot in the last month that F-Prot 4 is due by years end. This should be an intriguing release since it has been slow cooking for quite a while. Since they share things with Authentium I wonder if the setup will be somewhat similar to Command AV....cheers

Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  8. TNT

TNT Registered Member

I use it at work. The question is not whether it's supposed to detect them, but how well it does detect them. Not that well, in my experience.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  9. iwod

iwod Registered Member

well mext hope this time it is true. Becoz they have been saying version 4 will come for a few years.

And i hope they do have something new to offer. Otherwise even some free AV like Antivir will be better than them.

10. daTerminehtor

daTerminehtor Registered Member

I'll choose this, for my first post here. :p

IMO, the move to the AIO Suite has caused nothing but problems for both the dev's, and the end users.

Witness...

ZAP
    Outpost 2.5, 2.6, 2.7 and now 3x (I've stayed with 2.1)
    Nortons (pick one)
    Ewido
    KAV

... and so on.

Look, we all agree that a layered approach is the way to go. So, how is depending on a single product in line with that thinking?

I'll continue to run separate utilities for as long as possible.

11. Here4aday

Here4aday Guest

Ok I'm confused, what has this to do with F-Prot.

12. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

You can't simply take that in isolation, since that would be absurd too. It detects everything I have thrown at it and seems as capable as any AV out there. Heuristics are there for precisely that reason of detecting malware that hasn't been examined yet, so that even a "zero-day exploit" won't get past it.
    There are other AVs that can detect more malware by signature recognition, and then fail to be able to deal with the infestation; which is worse? Being able to detect a known threat yet being unable to deal with it, or recognising a new threat before a signature has been made available, to alert you in good time? I know which one I'd rather be using.

13. Technodrome

It takes time to develop a good and stable program. Does anybody remember how long took ESET team to deliver even better version 2.? Years…. ;)

tD

14. IBK

IBK AV Expert

All I know is that F-Prot 4 will have an excellent dialer detection rate. I think it will be released (like most AV's) before Christmas, but I do not know it, I only guess.

15. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

F-Prot scored very well in the latest (Aug.) AV-Comparatives on demand test. It actually did fairly well in malware detection, better in fact than a few of the "top-tier" programs. I've installed it on my wife's home machine, and it's stopped several recent nasties including a worm or two. If it is indeed losing users, I'm willing to bet that it has more to do with its aging interface than the program's abilities.

16. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Really........... please IBK.... could you keep on guessing more things? Like what other AV is coming out... when... etc?:D :D

17. IBK

IBK AV Expert

...and F-Prot added lot of stuff during last 2-3 months, if it continues this way it will score quite good in the tests of next year...

18. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I like F-Prot because it gives good protection with a very light footprint.

I have *heard* that version 4 will add more unpackers, greater configurability, and better heuristics. At the same time, I'm sure FP developer's are striving to issue a version 4 that will maintain FP's well-deserved reputation for stability & light footprint. More power without getting bloated -- sounds like a difficult task. I'm convinced that Frisk is taking the time needed to do the job right.

19. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

F-Prot 4 is probably going to be a good product indeed IMO. There may be a better interface, more RTM options (of course), better unpackers (makes sense) and optimization of scan speed..... ;)

20. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Does anyone know if f-prot will give a free upgrade to version 4..if they were to buy version 3.6 now?

21. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

From their website, all updates and upgrades are included for the duration of your one year license...:)

22. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Thanks for the info Mongol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.