F-Prot (dos) & XP NTFS

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by steveb, Jul 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveb

steveb Registered Member

:D
    Hello
    I have been using F-Prot dos as a backup scanner, but I wish to creat a disaster disk (or boot CD) that I can scan my system from a clean disk or CD. In the past when running fat or fat32 it hasn't been an issue - I just use a 98se floppy and scan with F-Prot from a created ramdrive - however now with XP how can I scan and clean from a bootable and be able to have F-Prot see the NTFS drive(s).

TIA
    Steve

2. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

You can't, unless you use a third party driver (ie: NTFSDOS Pro). Or buy something like Avast! BART CD. :D

You can use the trial/free version of NTFSDOS, but it will only let you id the bugs--not delete them. Deleting nasties can only be done using NTFSDOS Pro Version.

www.winternals.com

A great bootable cd that you can make can be found at:

www.911cd.net

It's great, and requires the ability to work with .iso files. It has support for McAfee, F-Prot, PC-cillin, and Norton av's--but they will still require a third-party DOS driver to kill bugs under NTFS, because it operates in true DOS mode.

Good luck!

3. steveb

steveb Registered Member

I had seen the BART CD on the AVAST site however I find the $$$ for MY use quite high and not economically feasible.

maybe a ver of BART for AV work only & NTFS access, without the admin stuff would be an idea.

Steve

PS just read the forum on AVAST about the BART CD content issues with MS and such, so I now see that a small share/free ware ver isn't a possibility.

4. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Huh? What have you heard on the "forum on AVAST"? I'm quite interested.

Vlk

5. raman

raman Registered Member

6. steveb

steveb Registered Member

VLK, Raman

Yes that is the thread that I saw. I see know that I should have quoted the thread in question so that there would be no confusion to what I was referring to. I edited my original email and added my comment after the fact, but obviously I wasn't clear enough that I had kinda answered my own question.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.