Eztrust is better than kav or f-secure?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by greenze, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAV

RAV Guest

I just registered 2 copies of ETrust EZ AV. It appears to be using CA's VET engine which passes Virus Bulletin tests. I also run Trojan Hunter 3.5 and ZAP 3.7. All seem to compliment each other well.

Obviously, AV software is a personal choice, but it doesn't hurt to get some feedback from experienced users on this forum. Thanks again.

2. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

EZ Antivirus 6.1 is VET AntiVirus. The only differences are tray icon(design) and update url.

The version prior 6.1 (6.0) is somewhat different and had(has) much more features (including different UI). It also caused some problems on 9x systems.

Technodrome

3. greenze

greenze Registered Member

Eztrust versions 7 is out .....anyone try it ?

4. Felicity

Felicity Guest

To answer the question - no, in my opinion.

Someone mentioned compatibility: from my experience these combinations work, I recently moved Trojan Hunter from the W98se pc to the XPhome pc.

W98se - Kerio, Finjan, (T.hunter), BOClean, NOD32.
    XPhome - ZA, T.Hunter, BOClean, KAV pers.

I've got KAVlite on another W98pc, with BOClean and LnStop.

I thought from the KAV site blurb that KAV lite was originally intended and works best with W98.

If you got 2 pcs and you want a free AV, get AVAST. It can scan the networked pc as well. NOD scans networked pcs also. KAV lite does not.

Sorry if this adds more options to sift through, good luck.

5. muf2

muf2 Guest

RAV, Regarding the KAVlite trial. You can download a trial version from the Kaspersky site. Only restriction it has is it will not clean any viruses, but it will detect them. At least it will give you an idea of how the program runs on your pc.

http://www.kaspersky.com/download.html?id=39

muf

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

muf2 - Well, I tried d/l'ing and installing that one, and guess what? It needs a registration key.

(Sigh). Where do I go about getting that now? Pete

7. muf2

muf2 Guest

Ummm... Well you could try their support and ask them for a temporary key that will last a week. Or you could post this question at the Kaspersky forum. There are Kaspersky admins in there that will give you advice.
    http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3e820db30267ffff;act=SF;f=1

muf

8. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I would go to the above forum spy1 . There are a couple of options that will be better perhaps . Either Lisa from UK or Igor would be faster than the other alternative. There s also A tech version of the new KAV Lite in the KAV lite threads that may have a temporary key, (not sure ) but its a good forum and fast track help in many issues.

9. RAV

RAV Guest

muf2- I was able to download and the KAV Lite would not run at all without a key and no trial was available. I gave them a fair chance and was told they did not offer a trial key for lite. My experiences with Kaspersky have not been positive.

I registered EZ 6.1 and am I happy. No conflicts with TH, ZAP, etc. and works well with WinXP. So I will not be shopping again for AV software until next year.

10. RAV

RAV Guest

BTW-

Etrust 7 (CA's corporate AV) may be out, but ETrust EZ (different product that uses the VET engine) is on version 6.1.4.

11. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Hi everyone :D

I will weigh in here. :) I have tried Etrust. But reading and looking at the trck record with KAV I would have to side with Etrust being better than KAV. KAV didn't even pass on WinXp over at the virusbtn site. Everyone lives by that site. ;) As for etrust, it passed over there at virusbtn on WinXP. Well, that's all I have to say for now about this. Have a nice day. :)

12. muf2

muf2 Guest

Change the record please. Don't use it if you don't want to. But just out of interest, look at these results before you condemn KAV.

http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=31&mnu=31
    http://www.rokop-security.de/main/article.php?sid=494&mode=thread&order=0

Some of those that got the coveted VB100% didn't do too well did they?

For an in-depth discussion on one of these tests have a look here: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=6463

My point is don't take one point of view. Yes VB is well respected, but there are other test sites out there that can give you a different perpective...

muf

13. notageek

I don't like etrust either but my point it that virusbtn is well known and people always tell people to go there when they ask about AVs. When a person goes there and reads the reports it turns them off from the AV's that don't score good.

14. solarpowered candle

who are Virus bulletin :) lol If An Anti-virus program tested by VB can catch every real virus they throw at it, but if it also throws out a couple of false positives it doesn't gain a VB100%. But another AV can miss a virus or two and have no false positives yet still gets a VB100%. then I would be a little balanced with my recommendations of such a site. Its a commercial world out there. No matter what they say.

15. notageek

I never follow them kind of sites. I come here and ask. You
    get a lot of responses and you can make up you mind with all the cheers and jeers of a product. :D Or do the old try it before you buy it. That sad thing with trying before you buy is that you have clean the registry out after you unistall it if you don't like it.

16. solarpowered candle

True, I must say Notageek, that at least KAV have a good cleaner they give out to clean up ones system of any junk left over from a previous KAV download or loose bits flying around lol :)

17. notageek

NAV has a cleaner to clean off the left over but I'm not sure how good it works. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.