EXTREMELY Hidden File - Desktop.ini

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I'm not sure if this is a legitimate threat, but it concerns me.

For some reason the directory "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents" on my XP Home PC apparently contains a file called "Desktop.ini". I know this because my virus scanner (NOD32) told me the folder contained this file, but that it could not scan it because it was locked. :mad:

When I view this folder in Windows Explorer (with the option to view hidden and system files enabled), the folder shows to be EMPTY. :doubt: The properties of the folder, however, shows to contain a single file at 62 bytes.

Why do I feel this is a potential security concern:

1. My virus scanner cannot scan the file (desktop.ini)
    2. The file (desktop.ini) seems to be very hidden

A scan of the directory with TDS-3 shows a file to be there, and does not generate an alarm, so I feel a little better. But what's up with this hidden file?? Should I be concerned? o_O

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you might try looking here or here

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Hi, Big C -

Thanks. That explains it. I'm assuming that since Windows is designed to hide desktop.ini files, that this is not a security issue? And NOD32 not being able to scan this file should also not concern me?

4. bigc73542

It is a windows file and you don't have to worry about this one. But you did just what you should have done with a file or folder that you don't know about. You can always ask someone here and we will be happy to help. ;)

bigc

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Using the link posted by Big C, I was able to display the file (see attached). Thre are also two more entries that I was unaware of that seem to be two more directories within the .../Documents folder that are unnamed. Am I reading this right?

6. bigc73542

It looks like two empty dirs. and one with 62 bytes. I don't see anything bad. ;)

7. Dazed_and_Confused

Thanks again, Big C ! :-*

I can sleep better tonight now, and that's where I'm headed now.

By the way, I did some testing with the DOS DIR command. Those same two entries that appear to be directories with the dots to the right appear on anytime I do a "DIR /a" command on any folder. So I'm not really sure what that means. I'm not as fluent with DOS commands as I should be. ;)

8. bigc73542

Anytime I can help.

bigc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.