Extra RegDefend Ghost File Entries

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by puff-m-d, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Re: RegRun Entries

I have just posted an updated version that hopefully will solve the hanging problems that a few people were having. I had included some extra values on a key to be checked and it seems that one of the values was causing a hang up. I modified that key check to only check the important values and nothing extra. It has been running flawlessly here although I never had the problem at all and could not duplicate it. I used the info from posters to fine tune that one key check. Hopefully it will run fine now ;) ...

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks Puff. I have updated my list. Thanks again for all of your efforts.

Rich

3. Clive T

Clive T Registered Member

Puff, your update has resolved the hanging problem I reported in another thread. Who'd have thought that a * would have caused the problem?

Thanks for your efforts.

4. puff-m-d

You are most welcome as always ;) ...
    I am glad to hear it helped you. Hopefully it will solve the others problems as well ;) ...

5. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have just downloaded RegRun Gold security Suite and came to the forum to see if there was any guidance on configuring before I installed and have just found this post.

I know it will probably make more sense to me when I install the software but I would appreciate it if someone would explain if I can use this .txt (changed to whichever extension) when using the trial version or do I only use this when I have purchased? Thanks I have only discovered the suite and really do like its features.

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Robyn, you are getting Regrun and RegDefend mixed up, RegDefend is kernal based protection that can also monitor keys that Regrun checks through a text file provided by puff-m-d.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

7. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks Blackspear - I am really mixed up as I know see RegRun has RegGuard and not defend :oops: there are so many features in the suite I think I will take this one step by step to configure. Thankfully I will not be wondering if I have lost a bit now ;)

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

No worries Robyn, I'm sure someone will be able to walk you through it in another forum here at Wilders, or on the Regrun Forum.

Cheers :D

9. tlu

tlu Guest

A good overview of the autostart locations for the various Windows versions by the respected German computer magazine c't can be found on http://www.heise.de/security/artikel/print/49573 .

I don't use RegDefend right now due to the problems mentioned in https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=76033 , so I'm not sure if the registry entries in above article are completely covered in the default ghost file or in puff-m-d's file. Nevertheless, it may be a useful overview for some forum participants here.

10. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I don't know if this is a stupid idea or not but I have regdefend set to monitor all keys in the entire registry

it is set to alert on change keys or change values and normally the only time it pops up after I have allowed all the usuual ones I want to always be able to change etc is when installing new software

Am I doing something wrong or dangerous as it doesn't seem to affect my computer at all and I have had none of the problems experienced by other people with shutdowns or whatever hanging

To my way of thinking, that will protect me against a lot more than specific keys

Obviously though, you would need to be aware of what is adding to or altering keys and values to know what to allow or disallow

11. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

dvk01,
    Out of interest, how did you structure it and what rules did you put in there for the global matching ?
    Did you make one new group with each hive and a bunch of programs having APO's with global access across the registry ?

NB: If discussion continues on this it could usefully be another thread so that other ppl can find it easily

12. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

well unless I have done something wrong all I did was make a new group and call it additional protection
    and then added the main 4 reg keys

HKLM,HKCU, HK_classes root & Hkey_users and set to warn on modify reg keys or values

I am assumimg that by adding the main keys it automatically includes all subkeys in the groups

13. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Interesting Cause I have been thinking on the same and I thought the alerts would drive me crazy lol...apparently not (only in the beginning) so that is something I'll definately will do, if everything turns out to be ok :D

take care

14. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Actually unless a key has a wildcard * at the end of it, only the immediate key will be "protected".

So if you wanted to "protect" the whole registry you would add
    HKLM* with a value of *
    HKU* with a value of *

etc

By specifing only HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ , it means any values in that key AND any direct key based actions (create a new subkey in HKLM\, modify a subkey, etc) will be alerted on.

I might just mention, it isn't that great an idea to protect the whole registry, it can lead to issues with core processes which require access being blocked.

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  15. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

So that is why I only got alerts when something tried to create new keys then

16. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Attached Files:

17. TonyKlein

Hmm. Just realized that a couple of those wild cards don't really make sense, but at least they won't hurt either... ;)

18. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

19. TonyKlein

You're very welcome. :)

20. puff-m-d

In the first post, I have attached a new Ghost file. This file hopefully will fix any problems people may have been experiencing with multiple accounts and fast user switching. I have also added an entry that will detect for any changes in BHO's. Have fun and enjoy ;) ...

21. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Working great. Thanks a lot!

Rich

22. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Puff,

Are there any other recommended settings to add to RD in order to get max protection of your registry besides the ones you posted?

Thanks,

Jag

23. TonyKlein

Well the possibilities are endless, really...

Personally, I'm not planning to protect myself against absolutely everything, but a couple of things come to mind:

Here are a number of addtional homepage/searchpage related keys and values that you could opt to have RD protect. Not all of them are there by default, and in that case they need to be added manually.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    "Default_Page_URL"
    "Local Page"
    "Start Page_bak"
    "HOMEOldSP"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    "Default_Page_URL"
    "Local Page"
    "Start Page_bak"
    "HOMEOldSP"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search]
    "SearchAssistant"=
    "CustomizeSearch"=
    "Default_Search_URL"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    "Default_Search_URL"
    "Search Page"

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    "Search Page"
    "Search Bar"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl] (key*)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\main]
    "Search Page"
    "Search Bar"
    "Use Custom Search URL"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\URLSearchHooks] (Key*/values)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL] (Key* and values)

There are also a large number of additional restrictions you could have RD protect you from being set. I'll see whether I can look into that later.

And here again are the few additional items from my List of Startup Locations which I posted about before:

hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\command processor* | * | Key + Value | Mod Key, Mod Value | Ask User

hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\command processor* | * | Key + Value | Mod Key, Mod Value | Ask User

hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\accessibility\utility manager* | * | Key + Value | Mod Key, Mod Value | Ask User

hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\image file execution options* | * | Key + Value | Mod Key, Mod Value | Ask User

I especially recommend adding Image File Execution Options, as it's increasingly popular with the latest generation of spyware/malware

But, as I say, the possibilities are truly endless, and I'm sure that others will have lots more to contribute...

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  24. TonyKlein

Allrighty, here are a bunch of additions locations where restrictions can be set, and you may want to add these. As said before, many of those subkeys won't be there by default, so you'll need to add them manually.

hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\Network | * | Key + Value | Mod Key, Mod Value | Ask User
    hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\ActiveDesktop | * | Value | Mod Key, Mod Value | Ask User
    hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\WinOldApp | * | Key + Value | Mod Key, Mod Value | Ask User
    hkey_current_user\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions* | * | Key + Value | Mod Key, Mod Value | Ask User
    hkey_current_user\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Infodelivery\Restrictions* | * | Key + Value | Mod Key, Mod Value | Ask User

hkey_current_user\Software\Microsoft \Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Uninstall* | * | Key + Value | Mod Key, Mod Value | Ask User

hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\Network | * | Key + Value | Mod Key, Mod Value | Ask User
    hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\ActiveDesktop | * | Value | Mod Key, Mod Value | Ask User
    hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\WinOldApp | * | Key + Value | Mod Key, Mod Value | Ask User
    hkey_local_machine\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions* | * | Key + Value | Mod Key, Mod Value | Ask User

25. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Tony, glad to see I had every one of your post 73 (covered by *)
    Don't know about the ones in post 74.

Keep them coming though, I like plagiarising these as I don't really know anything about the registry except what makes sense when I see it :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.