External HD formating

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by samy, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Thanks, for sharing your experience. I find it hilarious that the Toshiba tool picked up the Toshiba external enclosure, but realized that the drive inside was not Toshiba's but Fujitsu's, so showed it in brackets. Obviously the scammers used a genuine Toshiba enclosure, but replaced the drive inside with a less capacity cheaper drive, but I am amazed that the Toshiba tool was smart enough to realize this.

By the way, the Fujitsu drives are not bad they are actually good quality drives. They usually come with Branded systems like Dell, HP etc. My Dell from 2007 came with a Fujitsu drive and I was quite satisfied with its performance.

But yes, the fake stuff is everywhere. Just search "Fake 16 TB SSD" on YouTube and watch some of the results. These drives are being sold on Amazon, Walmart etc by third party vendors. People usually associate Amazon, Walmart as trustworthy places to purchase stuff and so fall victims to these scams. I am assuming your friend who bought these drives for you fell victim to such a scam.

As a general rule of thumb, if a deal seems too good to be true, stay away from it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.