Express VPN to be acquired by Kape Technologies for $936 million

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by guest, Sep 14, 2021.

1. imdb

imdb Registered Member

why would he pay for a service he doesn't need? he doesn't want a vpn. he just wants to stream geo-restricted content and that's all.

i myself don't use commercial vpn's. i lease servers from individuals from various geographic locations. it's neither vpn nor vps. it's residential ip's from local isp's, online 24/7.

2. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Because doing so can often be cheaper and you often get both services, as I said earlier. Thanks for proving my point.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Yes it is. That's solely what I use it for, on my Android TV box. I don't use it on my PC. ControlD lets you change your location for hundreds of streaming services.
    A better option is to use ControlD. It lets you change the location individually for hundreds of streaming services. The problem with VPNs, is that some streaming services won't work if you are using a known VPN IP address. Although, there are some services that only check to see if you have a US IP address.

4. imdb

imdb Registered Member

didn't know that. thanks for the info. :thumb:

5. roger_m

You're welcome.

6. lost24

lost24 Registered Member

I had a 7-month left ExpressVPN license but I have decided to switch to WeVPN, which is working great here.
    I just dislike the UAC prompt whenever I start my laptop, and the fact that the app won't reconnect when PC goes out of sleep mode. I contacted support (they replied kindly and immediately), and they said they would solve those issues soon.
    Another thing : the Brave browser extension won't connect, but I'm not sure I need it anyway, since the client works perfectly.

But I wish ExpressVPN hadn't been sold : it suited my needs, and the company was trustworthy.

7. imdb

imdb Registered Member

it was indeed.

8. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I've been testing WeVPN too. There is a lot to like about it (a lot!). Does WeBlock block espn for you too?

9. guest

guest Guest

Edward Snowden urges users to stop using ExpressVPN
    Edward Snowden Urging All to Avoid ExpressVPN After its CIO Named in UAE Surveillance Scandal.
    September 18, 2021
    https://www.hackread.com/edward-snowden-stop-using-expressvpn/

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Guys, thanks for the feedback, I will check them out. I have made a list of my favorite movies and series and about 60% of the movies and probably 90% of all series are not available on Dutch streaming services, not even on pay per view, so I can't even rent them. BTW, perhaps a dumb question, but do they have English subtitles on the US streaming services?

11. imdb

imdb Registered Member

yes. also live and recorded tv broadcast have closed captioning.

12. Rasheed187

OK thanks, I had to look up what closed captioning meant. Of course I prefer Dutch subtitles, but I'm guessing they don't offer this. Prime Video offers so called channels, like from Starz and MGM, but MGM sadly enough doesn't offer Dutch subtitles with all of its movies, a bit unprofessional if you ask me.

13. Surt

Surt Registered Member

Code:
    For your security, approve the notification sent to:
    Email address: (obfuscated address)

Wait for email. Wait for email. Wait...

Code:
    Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network.
    This page checks to see if it's really you sending the requests, and not a robot.

Do the CAPTCHA (Is that one a bicycle?).
    Enter dumb phone number and wait on the SMS. Wait on the SMS. Wait...
    Enter some expected challenge response and pray.

Code:
    Your request has been blocked by the OctoNet HTTP filter. Make sure you do not open this website from a VPN or TOR IP address.
    ----------
    Access Denied
    You don't have permission to access "http://......./" on this server.

Disconnect VPN.

https://www.theregister.com/2020/12/08/cloudflare_privacy_protocols/

Might ECH along with ODoH work seamlessly for the masses? Sure would be nice.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  14. carlito77

carlito77 Registered Member

15. Socio

Socio Registered Member

More information in this video https://tv.gab.com/channel/three_spoons/view/vincent-james-snowden-warns-of-614e08fcfe14359c0acb3ff3

Pretty eye opening.

16. imdb

imdb Registered Member

i too stopped using expressvpn after its acquisition. but snowden is a traitor so i have no use for him.

17. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I was never attracted to them in the first place. All the marketing put me off. The really good privacy centric VPNs tend to keep a lower profile and don't spend their resources on marketing and advertising. It was one of better VPNs for bypassing geoblocking from what I understand but those VPNs are generally not the ones you want to use for strict privacy. I have lifetime subscriptions to several and I've noticed that they don't work as well for uses other than streaming. For example, if I try layering another VPN or TOR on top of them, I often get disconnected.

18. guest

guest Guest

ExpressVPN’s Vision After the Kape Acquisition – Interview with the VPN’s Vice President Harold Li
    October 30, 2021
    https://www.technadu.com/expressvpn...ew-with-vpns-vice-president-harold-li/308642/

19. carlito77

carlito77 Registered Member

20. Rasheed187

Guys, I forgot about this stuff, but I'm now a bit more serious about this, I actually want to give it a try. Question, if you want to use your smart TV, then I guess you need Android TV right? I'm guessing you first need to install apps from let's say Hulu or Paramount+ and then change DNS settings on your smart TV?

And can this also be done with media players from Apple, Nokia and Nvidia for example? And what about apps from streaming services that are already available in Holland, like Netflix and Prime Video, can you fool them into thinking you're located in the US? Or do you need to sign up again?

21. roger_m

You don't specifically need Android TV. Netflix provides content for the region of your current IP address, no matter what country your account is registered to. With Prime Video you do need an account registered in the country you want to watch.

22. Rasheed187

What I meant is that on a smart TV you need to be able to install apps from streaming services, and I suppose on Android TV this is the easiest? Because on LG's WebOS I don't see an option to install apps from for services like Paramount+, Shudder and Peacock, but I'm not sure if Android TV allows this. And good to know about Netflix and Prime Video, thanks.

23. roger_m

They are all available on Android TV.

24. Rasheed187

OK cool awesome. Then I guess this will do the trick, I will now have to buy either a new smart TV or some media player that supports Android TV. What I don't like about Smart TV's is that when you switch to watching cable TV, you will have to restart apps, with media players they stay active in the background.

25. roger_m

You can buy Android TV boxes fairly cheaply. You just want one which officially supports apps like Netflix, or you won't be able to stream in high definition.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.