Exposing Hidden Files And Folders

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by hogndog, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Came across this piece of information today that didn't quite set right with me, found it while looking for different ways to protect our email accounts.

Enable the Hidden Files Option

Often times a user open an innocent looking file attachment only to discover they have infected themselves. One favorite tactic these parasites use is a double-extension file where one or both file extensions are hidden. By default Microsoft hides the "registered" file types from view - to protect the user from opening protected system files. However this also prevents the user from seeing these extensions in their email.

To allow yourself to view all file types, open Windows Explorer Folder Options - View [tab]
    or (Win7) Organize > Folder and search options

Scroll down to the Hidden Files and Folders section
    Select: "Show hidden files and folders"
    Uncheck: "Hide file extensions for known file types"
    Uncheck: " Hide protected operating system files"
    Ok the Prompt, click Apply, Ok

I found it at what i consider to be a trusted site "like they must know what their doing"

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/security.htm

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

2. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

i enable this so i can see all the files in any particular folder. i do get tired of seeing these "desktop.ini" files i think they're called, all over the place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.