Exporting to CD or DVD

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by dallen, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Here are a few questions about FDISR:

First, if I initially exported an image to an external HD with the instructions for FDISR to split that image into 650 MB segments, can I, after the fact, simply burn those segments onto a series of CDs?

Second, related to the first question, can I then import that image and boot to it if something were to go wrong and copy that image to Primary to restore the system?

Third, also related, what is the process like, because I notice that when you try to import an image it allows you to select one file? If I select the file that is on disk one, will it prompt me to insert subsequent disks?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Dallen

I've never done anything with the import and export since you can't refresh them. But generally speaking unless the image is really small, I wouldn't go to optical disks unless you can go to DVD's. I imaged my system once to CD's and had 17 of them. Absurd cause if one goes bad, the whole image is bad. That set recently got used to test some new cutters I bought. I considered buying a good DVD burner and opted for an external drive instead.

Pete

3. dallen

dallen Registered Member

You make some good points. Unfortunately, acquiring an external HD is not an option for this particular application. DVDs are not an option either. As it stands, there will be 10 CDs in the series. I plan on validating them after I burn them and storing them in a safe location. This is a unique set of circumstances and I agree that it is not ideal for the reasons that you've listed. That being said, should it work in theory? If anyone has experienced a successful or failed attempt at doing what I've proposed, please educate me.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Dallen, the first thing I would do is export like you done, and see if you can reimport the archive. Then I'd take it to CD and then try coming back, and see what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.