Explain this...!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Simon6776, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

DVD+R is right on the matter.

Some factors are to consider when you download.
    Server loads
    Server location
    Connection speed
    The number of users downloading the same file etc...

I average 970k/s on my 15mbps connection. Pretty damn good speed if you ask me.

Download/Upload speed will always verie, it won't be constant speed at 970k/s. Depending on days, file, servers, people of what I'm trying to get I could be doing 133k/s on the same file the next day...

Cheers,
    fluxgfx.com

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i agree with the BOLD but not the underlined writing, as i believe you should be averaging more than 970kb per second on a 15mb downstream, so check with your ISP.

3. FluxGFX

Already checked with the ISP it's normal there's about 400 of us on the same hub networked for my cable area. At my request they've even switched me on a different port route.

People around on a 8mbps line will average about 425k/s in this area.

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

my god thats poor if its a cabled area, are you sure they are just 'fogging you off' on the phone, just to shut you up, i would get onto them to make your connection better, because i think they are telling you porkys :d

sorry, i know there is some slang in this message, dont mean to .. its how i talk sometimes,
    i think everyone in britain uses at least one word from the cockney slang, damn them.

porkys - pork pies, lies
    adam n eve - believe
    dog n bone - phone

there are more, i just aint naming em :D

5. FluxGFX

C.S.J,

I wish they were fogging me off. But it's actually the real deal. This is how they networked the area.

Per neigbor square which they account for about 60people. They will have 1 HUB for 8people square. 8x60 = 480. The reason I know all this information is that I've worked there before. I know the technical settings.

Cheers,
    fluxgfx.com

*There's also DSL service at 8mbps but it's even worst maximum dowstream possible even at the central office is 380k/s"

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i find it hard to believe they can label it at 8mb / 15mb if its wayyyy off that with the way the network is cabled, seems a breach of contract.

7. FluxGFX

C.S.J,

Not really they've labeled it correctly and they do inform people that the outlined speed may vary depending on the area you live in and how many connected users are to a central hub.

There's been controversy before and they've been quite open about how they work this out.

Cheers,
    fluxgfx.com

*Now if your on a business package that's completely different... you'll be 20 on a hub and you'll get the full fledge speed*

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok flux, if your happy :)

i know, nobody in britain would accept a 6mb loss of speed on a 15mb connection, but then again, us brits have a reputation to MOAN and COMPLAIN *lol*

9. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

As you mentioned in a previous post, the words 'up to' and 'maximum' are crucial to the contracts, and by using this, ISPs can basically claim what they like, as long as it's not something ridiculous. By saying I could get up to a maximum 8Mbps line speed, that doesn't constitute any guarantee that I will achieve it, and by agreeing to that contract, the end user has no comeback if top speeds are not available. In my very cynical opinion, it sounds like a con, and it probably is, but owing to the hassle of switching providers, the ISPs can get away with it, although some treat their customers better than others.

10. FluxGFX

Great service here, you'll rarely here a complaint from a client. But then again the choices of ISP's are limited. There's 1 cable company for the entire province and 3 DSL providers therefore your kind of screwed on that aspect even though I live in a metropolitain area.

Most people around here can agree to stay away from DSL services...
    Aight I'm done with this subject, was just interesting as to see the aspect of others.

11. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

"Are downloads taking too long to load--even with a high-speed connection? Does your ISP say "It's not our problem?" PC Pitstop's Internet Connection Center can help. This is the place to start to diagnose and hopefully fix connection problems for your home or office system. Our series of diagnostics will help you determine if you're getting optimal performance from your connection. The tools can also help diagnose whether the problem is your modem, your PC, the site you're visiting or your ISP." http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/default.asp

You might want to check/test your internet connection settings with their Optimize tool
    (but you'll have to buy it in order to fix bad settings :D )

12. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I'm on ADSL2 here, and although my speed is 20000kbps the max I can hope for is 10Mb due to traffic etc Having said that, downloading a 100MB file in 45 seconds is quite exceptable to me.

13. JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Registered Member

it says 318KBps, which is 318X8= 2544kbps

Bytes and bits :)

14. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

Oh right. :blink: I'll get me coat... :D

15. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I think it is Kaspersky's http scanner, from the looks of it. It didn't like my connection, and I know that Melee20 wasn't very happy with it killing her speed.

However, Kaspersky doesn't like my pc for some reason, and maybe it doesn't like yours as well, i don't know?

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

16. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Simon, when I first got broadband a few months ago I was also confused with the bytes and bits as well o_O :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.