explain difference: Backup vs clone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DMitch, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMitch

DMitch Registered Member

What's the difference between a Full backup (is it also referred as Image?)
    and Clone?

When should I perform a Fullback up and when should I clone? I am assuming they accomplish the same results. Thanks!

I have a dell latitude laptop w/xp pro and tying to figure out which way to go in replacing my HD.

Thanks!

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Completely different.
    A clone is a bit for bit copy of the source drive. All other things being equal, you wind up with two identical drives.
    An image backup creates a file which stores all the data from the source.
    Should all be explained in the user doc.

3. TheWeaz

4. DMitch

DMitch Registered Member

Thanks "TheWeaz".

I have read the manual (seveal times)and have read much on this forum.
    I am not trying to be lazy here.
    Being a "simple man" that I am, I have great diffulculty understanding the tech lingo.

Bottom line is what procedure should I use on new internal HD for my Dell Laptop w/same 120gb?

Also, if anyone would take the time to explain in "layman" terms what the differences are I would greatly appreciate it or provide a link that may have already explained this...much thanks!

5. TheWeaz

Please check my last post in case you missed it.

6. DMitch

DMitch Registered Member

Hey Weaz...yes, i did miss it and thanks that really helped.

Two final question(i hope) and we can stop kicking this horse around...

Old HD 120gb and new HD 120gb

1)After reading the explaination, am I to understand then, cloning is best when moving to a bigger HD?

2)If I used the cloned method, should I go back
    a. do a fullback up of the new "cloned" HD
    b. then use restore from the backup file over the "cloned" HD?

I really appreciate it!

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Cloning / Imaging Terminology: (extracts from Acronis Support postings)

Clone Disk - When you use the "Disk Clone" tool, you effectively copy/move all of the contents of one
    hard disk drive onto another hard disk drive. This function allows you to transfer all the information
    (including the operating system and installed programs) from a small hard disk drive to a large one
    without having to reinstall and reconfigure all of your software. The migration takes minutes, not hours,
    but it is not generally used as a backup strategy.

Backup - (Imaging) creates a special archive file for backup and disaster recovery purposes--which
    also includes new drive replacement. Single partitions or entire drives can be imaged for use as
    partition or drive replacement. Archive file can be created within Windows mode or from Acronis
    bootable Rescue CD. Archive files can be stored in folders and/or alternate drives or media.
    If interested in backing up your hard drive for the disaster recovery purposes, the Backup approach is
    recommended. Moreover, there are several advantages of creating an image over the disk cloning
    procedure such as: you can create an image without rebooting your PC, image creation can be
    scheduled for the particular point in time, Acronis True Image allows you to create incremental and
    differential images, image archive contains only the actual data and so it has a smaller size, images
    are ordinary files and so they can be stored on any type of the supported media, etc.

8. GroverH

After cloning, you have two identical drives. Creating a new backup is only needed if you do not already have such a backup from your old drive. Restoring such a backup would give you the opportunity to prove that restoration is possible. Restoration would provide additional proof that your restoration will work when it is needed in the future.

9. DMitch

DMitch Registered Member

GroverH...its an honor to have such a "guru" respond to my question!

I am sure the answer to my question was in your replies but I seem to always need more clarification.

***So, is it better to use the clone or the full backup method for my new
    HD 120gb to replace my old 120gb hd for dell laptop?******

AND

***If the Full back up method is better, since I used the clone method...
    should I go back and use the full backup method?***** o_O

10. GroverH

Anyone responding to your posting should be considered a "guru".:)

If you achieve your goal of a working duplicate drive, it does not really matter which method you used. The clone method is probably quicker.

In order to be prepared for emergencies such as viruses or drive failures, you need to have imaging backups of your drive. Some backups can be disk backups while others can be partition backups. If you have a disk failure, it really helps if you have a recent disk backup.

Remember, if you have never restored a backup image, you do not know whether your system can be restored--should you have an emergency. It's always best to test this on a spare drive--should you have one. Since your cloning worked, now might be a good time to do restore that disk backup image --if you have never done one before. Cloning to a new drive may not always be possible so you need to know that you can restore that image when booted from the TI Rescue CD.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  11. DMitch

DMitch Registered Member

Great information...Thanks GroverH!!
    Thanks to all "gurus" who responded to my question!!

I have another question regarding a new dell laptop I will be receiving and needing advice on what/how/possible problems to making the new computer HD. However, since that is a new topic I will start a new thread.

Please look for it and I welcome all "gurus" to particiate :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.