Experiences of submitting virus samples to Vendors?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jlo, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Just wondered what your experience was on submitting Virus samples to vendors and the speed they get added?

Mine are

Dr Web: Usually promt but can vary. Always get a tracking number. Occasionally an email to support is required to chase a submission.

Kaspersky: Always promt within 12 hours and always reply.

F-Secure: Always reply but often wait until defs are added to KAV database.

Trend AV: Usually a couple of buisness days but always get a reply and defs are added.

AVG: Never get a reply but samples added promtly.

AVAST: Never get a reply and very slow to update. Often weeks. (Known issue which they are working on)

Nod32: Never get a reply.

Fprot: Never get a reply and seem very slow to add samples (Zlob etc) (In my experience that is)

Bitdefender: Normally post to there forum where you get a reply although recently no V researcher has visited the malware forum for over a week.

Antivir: Excellent. Samples always get a tracking number and normally hear back within 2 working days (and often sooner)

Mcaffee: Just get auto reply saying sample received and if no virus found being esculated to reseacher.

Norton: I can only submit via a online portal which does not get priority so slow response (Please not I don't have Norton and I am sure samples sent via quaratine to the lab will get quicker support)

I would like to add that I do understand why I don't always get replies but as long as samples are added promtly that does not bother me.

Just wondered whether my experience was simialr to yours?

Cheers

Jlo

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

drweb -

tracking numbers are 'instant', samples are 'usually' added within 0-5 days.

i say 0-5 days as it can vary, sometimes they take their time with a certain sample.

however, ive had samples added within 3 minutes of me sending them in ;)

3. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

4. pykko

pykko Registered Member

As for me:

Avira - always got reply and sample added in maximum 72 hours
    Avast - no reply and sample not added
    Bit Defender - sometimes reply and add samples but not always so fast
    Dr. Web - almost everytime they reply and add sample pretty fast
    AVG - always reply and add samples fast
    NOD32 - only 2 replies out of about 1-200 samples submitted and they are added generally in 7-10 days or not at all. Some are added fast, but very few.
    Kaspersky - fast reply and fast addition of samples

5. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Kaspersky is the undisputed leader in this aspect, so much that I occassionally use their viruslab to verify some suspicious files I'm not sure of due to their unbelievably fast turnaround time. Avira and Grisoft are worth the time spent submitting samples to, and as for the bottom of the pack, don't bother with Eset, McAfee, F-PROT and Alwil. You're just wasting your time. :(

6. jlo

jlo Registered Member

So similar experience to me.

I forgot to say about Panda,

I have to admit I always get an autoreply with them and then within a day or so a response to what has been found and a link to beta defs.

Its good service!

Jlo

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Ditto.

8. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Kaspersky: always got fast responses within 1-8 hours.

Avira: all replies within 1-2 days.

Nod32: never got replies :thumbd:

9. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

same as yours

kaspersky :thumb:
    Avira :thumb:
    nod32 :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

10. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Kaspersky... generally very fast for malicious samples... response time ranging from 20mins to 3 hours.
    Response time for less malicious samples such as adware and non-malicious samples sent... ranges from few hours to a few days (in a few occasions).
    Also response within hours about inquiries regarding FPs.
    Signature release; always within an hour of response.

Avira... only sent two malicious samples, got a reply within hours of sending. Not sure about how long it was till the update was released with the signature.
    Online submission form's cool though where you can see statistics and stuff about samples you sent.

Nod (when i used to use it)... no response and malware not added to detections. One of the reasons why I stopped using it... don't like their stance of not adding detection of non-widespread malware. Want my AV to detect all malware out there, regardless of the possibility of me getting infected by it.

11. R8y

R8y Registered Member

My experience with the following vendor
    Dr.Web: used it until the 4.44 beta trial ended. Had major problems with virus submission. Although I got emails with tracking number, but rarely I get reply from Analyst follow up on the submission and it's never added to their database (occassionally I get reply from the big boss himself), btw I use gmail to communicate with them so it shouldn't be a problem. I heard from my friend the submission and reply it's better now.

Bitdefender: I used it for one year (legit license) before I switch to dr.web 4.44 trial. Experience with submission was bad. Email virus samples in their requested format to the requested email, never get any reply for the results, only get reply if I chat with them with live assist and tell them what's my problem or FP, then they will reply in time. But again this is way back, about 12-18 month ago.

Avira: Normal submission is OK, get reply if new malware found. But if I send in a sample which was detected only with generic detection method, they won't bother to analyse it, seems they happy with the current detection. Also in many occassions, Avira detect malware in wrong category, eg a trojan downloader with ability to infect or append to other exe files, Avira flagged it as tr/downloader.xxx, and delete the other file which was infected or appended by trojan codes. EVERY other vendor will flag it as Win32 virus and tried to clean the file not delete. Unfortunately I email such sample to avira, tell them what the problem is, never get any reply.

12. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

Here the same...

I don't receive reply from F-Secure because I'm registered as collector and they don't send reply to collectors (?). They are creating a system that will give feedback... maybe as Avira system...
    Kaspersky is the best in reply and add to database.
    Avira is very good too.
    ESET: no reply, many days or weeks to add... (I stopped sending samples in the last year because I feel myself too stupid sending samples to a company that ignores it).
    BitDefender: no reply and many days to add, usually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.