Existing Customer Migration

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Leapfrog Software, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Re: FirstDefense-ISR 3.31.232 *New Version*

Hi Birdman

You can give it a try. I have 3 raid 0 systems. It works on one, but fails one the other two. You can always just uninstall and reinstall 205 with no problem.

Pete

2. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Greetings All,

Update: We recently discovered that it is how the BIOS enumerates drives more than a RAID issue. This does not affect the majority of the folks that have RAID setups. Luckly, we have only two installations that have this magic setup that causes this issue. Regardless, I want it fixed.

For the folks having the issue, I will soon be sending you a new ISRSetup to try. If successful, we will compile a new version for everyone, but the change will only affect the folks with this issue.

3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Better wait. I suspect that there will be a new version pretty soon.

The test setup which Todd send me a while ago fixed the problem. :D :thumb:

ps. I have heard before the frase "fast in fixing problems" but leapfrog team gave it a totally new meaning. I'm impressed. It took them only some hours to make it right. :eek:

4. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Thanks. I just updated to the new version and I only ran into one minor hiccup. After uninstalling the Raxco version and rebooting....my system restarted with a BLACK screen. I powered down the system, restarted in SAFE MODE and ran CHKDSK. After a reboot again, all was working well again. I installed the latest version and created a "secondary snapshot" as well as exported a snapshot to my external drive. It was smooth as butter. I like the little froggy on the GUI as well.

Regarding the new version that Todd is set to release.....do I have to delete and re-create my "external" snapshot again with the newest version OR will it import fine even if you use a different/updated version than when you originally exported the snapshot?

Hope this makes sense. :p

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I didn't have any issues, because I don't use RAID.
    Nevertheless, I would like to have that new version too, because I don't know what will happen to my hardware in the future and then my actual latest FDISR could cause a RAID problem, if my new hardware has RAID. :)

6. marse.robert

marse.robert Registered Member

Hi all,

I purchased my FD-ISR from Raxco. After following Eric's thesis I have been cruising along without any worries at all.

Along comes this *new version* and I am confused. I have sent Todd all of the details he requires. However, my concern is the *new version* totally different from my FD-ISR purchased from Raxco? Does the *new version* contain all the features available in the Raxco issue? Will the *new version* shake hands with my existing snapshots and archives?

Todd mentions that the *new version* has an updated code: is this to ensure that all historic versions of FD-ISR are compatible? I have a lot of time for Todd and all at Leapfrog - and yet it appears that they are going out on a limb to help us guys - at no further expense! Can anyone explain?

Marserobert

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Relax. This "new version" v3.31 is the same as v3.21, just a few technical improvements to make it better. On the outside nothing changed, except a serial number. I'm using v3.31 already without any problems.
    Todd is just showing is good heart by doing this and I appreciate it very much.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Notes on Version 3.31.232 Professional
    - The Installer now does a check for a known Boot Sector and will give the error: "The Boot Sector for the Windows System volume is an unknown type."
    - Vista 64-bit now supported.
    - HP's alternate Vista boot strap supported.
    - The Copy Engine now prevents the computer from going into Sleep Mode while it is running.
    - Fixed problem where the Copy Engine would run out of stack if there were a large number of directories with long names.

I don't see anything in the update that I need. Would there be another reason to do the update that isn't specified above?

9. Peter2150

One of the reason's this was done, is there are three different vendor versions out there. Todd wanted to get everyone on the same code. So if an issue were to come up and you need help you would want to be on the new code.

Pete

10. Peter2150

Being the 2nd one with the problem, I have also tested the fix and yes indeedie it works. That was fast for sure.

Pete

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

OK thanks :)

12. Leapfrog Software

Greetings twl845,

You may not use these fixes or features, but I would like to get you the link and a new license key, just in case. You don't have to use it now, but would have it immediately available (See, we are in the high availability market, lol) if you do run into problems with your legacy version.

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

OK thanks, I'll go back to your instructions and do it. If I screw it up I can always boot to my secondary. LOL

14. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Uumm not being pushy: what is the auto response time to blank e-mail to "newversion..."
    ??

15. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Immediate.

Blue

16. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Yes, sorry, found it
    Ta

17. Leapfrog Software

Greetings marse.robert,

Let me add to what Erik has mentioned. He is spot on. Not only have we maintained compatibility between snapshots and archives of the different resellers, we have incorporated ALL reseller features into this product, so there will be no lose of functionality.

It makes my life easier since I can now release a single version to the folks here at Wilder’s.

You asked, “It appears that they are going out on a limb to help us guys - at no further expense! Can anyone explain?”

I sat here and thought about the many reasons why we are “going out on a limb” for folks. There are sooooo many, but let me give you my number #1.

As mentioned in previous post, FD-ISR, in the business sense, was a failure in the retail market. From the technical side, I believe it was a success, but that is my opinion. For those in the world that have tried and failed, and failed, and failed… it can be hard to continue on. We have all been there. When Wilder’s Security accepted our offer to provide a sounding board for folks with our technology we were elated. It served that purpose well, but the forum and its users (all of you fine folks) provided a much deeper benefit for me and my company. It provided the willingness to press on. Forums can be finicky, but this is such a great group of folks, also believing in the technology, that it really kept the ISR spirit going. In one post, Dallen made a comment on how FD-ISR is the application “you would make sweet love down by the fire kinda love”. We still crack up on that one.

Anyway, we owe a lot to the folks that have helped us along whether it be through your posts/threads or testing code for us. It has been a great symbiotic relationship and this is our way of saying thanks. (well that and virtual beer!)

Cheers!

18. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi Todd,

The version wich is gonna resolved the raid problem, is it also gonna resolved the activeX problems?

By the way, it would be nice to switch from VSS to RSS by a simple click into the menu of the program instead of going through the assle of command line :rolleyes:

Thanks for your great works,
    Atomas31

19. Leapfrog Software

For the ActiveX issue, we review it and don't want to blindly "inject" DLL's into your non-active snapshots or archives. We would have unhappy campers if we broke your snapshots and archives all at once. We are going to keep it safe.

RSS is being phased out since it was a temporary (it lasted longer than we expected) bridge to get us to VSS.
    Edit: Looks like I may be rethinking this one for this group.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  20. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

I understand for the activeX and I prefer to simply reinstall the new version in my non active snapshots than having a broken snapshot. I just wanted to know if I will have to install the new version in all my snapshot or not... it appears that I will :D

As for RSS, I hope you are not serious because here, on my system, VSS is a pain in the ass compare to RSS wich works flawlesslly and rapidly. If you remove RSS, I for one will be an angry campers :mad:

Keep up your great works,
    Atomas31

21. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

One version,3 different vendors : Peer Software,Raxco and Software Pursuits. ;)

22. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Todd, please do not change this one.

I had this problem too. And if I am not mistaken it is related with the different msi product codes and msi upgrade codes between the old and the new version.

In fact when I tried to start FD-ISR from the programs folder, it "triggered" a reinstall/fix and it reverted FD-ISR to the 3.21 version. :p

Panagiotis

23. Leapfrog Software

Well the good news about the ActiveX issue is that you only have to reinstall the product if you get the error. Hopefully this will be minimal.

As far as RSS, I do realize that I am going to lose some friends over removing it, but the good news is that it will stay for this year.

Edit: Also, now that all are on a common code base, as we provide application updates, your settings will be maintained as well when you uninstall and reinstall.

24. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

what a great company i have some problem whit my license and todd help me very fast, the new version is working like dream on my vista x64

thanks todd

25. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

PLEASE don't "phase out" RSS!!!! It's the ONLY way to get FD-ISR to work on my system since VSS doesn't work (and hasn't since day 1). :'(

Getting rid of the RSS *option* would pretty much cripple FD-ISR for me. Please keep it for those who have issues with VSS.

Thanks!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.