EXE Lockdown...Please give me your reviews

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by besafe, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. besafe

besafe Registered Member

I am actually fairly happy with my current security set up. But there is that part of me that ever wants to tinker with it and maker better.

Exe lockdown is the latest program I was hoping to do some research on before actually downloading and trying it.

How many have used it?

What did you like about it?

What did you dislike?

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

EXE Lockdown is abadonware and HDS confirmed that its development has been stopped forever and that's why it is offered as freeware.
    Faronic's Anti-Executable is the professional version of EL and much better. :)

3. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I have been testing ExeLockdown. Its latest version is more recent (11/06) than anti-executable (early 2006). However, Anti-Executable seems much more stable. I have noticed that ExeLockdown stops working for no apparent reason. I can't tell you why. If you have the money, I would purchase Anti-Executable.

4. ErikAlbert

I bought AE at this price :
    Sub Total 35.65 EUR
    VAT @ 21% 7.49 EUR
    Grand Total: 43.14 EUR

Keep in mind that Anti-Executable on HIGH security + all settings marked, is extremely strict and by many users considered as a pain on their computer. :)

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Too much PAIN is very little gain EA. Why do you make it point to stress this negative aspect of AE. If it's that bad, it wouldn't be in circulation and YOU surely wouldn't bother with it at all.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

ErikAlbert didn't say that was his opinion just what some other users have said when AE is maxed out. Have a look at post #2 where he said good things about it.

7. ErikAlbert

I bought AE, because it was the most userfriendly anti-executable software I could get and I wouldn't recommend it, if it was bad.
    I just warn potential users that AE can be a pain, if you use the HIGH security setting, certainly when you are not used to this.

If AE is activated, you can't download any legitimate installation-file from internet and you can't install any legitimate software either.
    So you have to turn it OFF to do this and turn it back ON and each time you have to use a password.
    If you like to test softwares all the time, AE will be more OFF than ON.
    This is not a problem for me, because I'm a FDISR-user and I can test softwares in 8 different test environments without AE installed. :)

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Still sounds a little EXTREME to me to go to such lengths as AE, but then like me, you're the ultimate PERFECTIONIST, always searching out that IMPENETRATABLE combination that would make the cleverest of malware guru's green with envy. :D

It's almost like you have a motion detector when it's ON right? Anything executable that moves which isn't on it's safe list gets the brick wall. :D

9. ErikAlbert

Yes, AE is like a dog, it smells unauthorized executables miles away. I can't even move my mouse over it or I get a warning message.
    Yesterday, I had an incident with AE. Thunderbird was updated automatically, while I was away from my computer, but AE didn't accept the new Thunderbird.exe and I couldn't open it. My boot-to-restore fixed it, but I had to disable the automatic update of Thunderbird. In fact all automatic updates have to be disabled.

10. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Hi Erik:

I tried Exe Lockdown to get my feet wet in anti-executables and liked it. I don't doubt that AE is superior, but I could not find any info on their website about the length of the evaluation period, and whether the evaluation version is the full version. Shed some light, if you will.

11. ErikAlbert

I had an evaluation period of 60 days, but that is long ago. It's fully functional as far I could evaluate. You get another installation file, once you buy it.
    I got an informative email when I downloaded the trial version and you will need that email, because AE is unusual regarding installation, icon and uninstallation, compared with other softwares and it hides itself very well, only an unaccessible folder and icon is visible.
    Download every pdf-file regarding AE, because they explain everything. It's NOT difficult, but you have to know HOW to do it or you will think that AE doesn't work. :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

AE is very good to lock down your system.

For me the most attractive point of AE is that is denies download/ copy/ write of any potentially unsafe( not white-listed) executable/ dll on your hard disk but allows all other write/ copy/ download procedures. I don,t find any other software in the market with such afeature. If anyone knows, pls tel me.

Really wonderfull.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.