Excruciatingly slow computer........

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ridenbaughn, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ridenbaughn

ridenbaughn Registered Member

Hi all~

So, a little background......last Friday my computer suddenly began running excruciatingly slow - just simply trying to connect to the web took several minutes, then navigating to the site I wanted was another 3 or more minutes. Trying to open ANY program was near impossible, downloading emails, etc. I have been a dedicated fan of Nod 32 for several years now. My subscription expired on 7/3/09, and I had downloaded and been testing the trial of version 4 for a week or so beforehand. Suddenly, nothing works properly. Up until that point I had not downloaded or installed any new programs. I run Windows XP Home Version on a Gateway laptop; to add to the frustration, my husbands computer (a generic desktop) runs the exact same OS with Nod32 v4 installed, and absolutely no problems with his computer. :'( :'( :'(

So I decided I had a virus. Reformatted my entire HD, restored a Norton Ghost backup from earlier in the month, and viola - everything is fine. That is, until I installed Nod32 v4, update it to the latest version (4.0.437.0)....HD nearly crashes and nothing works again. If I disable Real Time Fily System Protection, everything works just groovy again, but now I have no protection!

Can anyone help, or should I just go back to version 3?? :doubt:

2. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello

In the absence of a fix, one workaround might be to monitor what's being scanned in real time and when ekrn.exe goes into cpu overdrive, note the folder/file that's being scanned and exclude it as per the instructions here.

HTH

philby

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I'd suggest that you contact customer care and provide them a log from SysInspector so that they can see what software you have installed and if there's some that could be interfering with EAV somehow.

4. ridenbaughn

ridenbaughn Registered Member

Thanks for the responses philby & Marcos. How do I get the SysInspector file? Is that something within the EAV program, or ??

5. philby

philby Registered Member

With the GUI open, press ctrl+i
    This works for ESS, so should work for AV only...

philby

6. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

I am not sure but if you contact Costumer Care from within the program (@Help and Support) it will automatically create a log and send it with the support request.

If not, you can find SysInspector under tools in the ESET GUI. (set display mode to advanced)
    You can also download a standalone version @ http://www.eset.com/download/sysinspector.php to create a log.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.