Exclusions.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Matt_au, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_au

Matt_au Registered Member

When I enter an exclusion does that simply exclude the folder selected or include the sub folders as well. The help file does not make this clear.

If it does not (and I suspect it does not) How do I exclude a tree of folders?

2. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

From the documentation included in the product (click on the help button whilst in the exclusions screen):

When configuring exclusions, special symbols – wildcards, such as “*” and “?” can be used.

Examples

· If you wish to exclude all files in a folder, type the path to the folder and use the mask “*.*”.

· If you want to exclude doc files only, use the mask “*.doc“.

· If the name of an executable file has a certain number of characters (and characters vary) and you only know the first one for sure (say “D”), use the following format: “D??.exe”. Question marks replace the missing (unknown) characters.

Edit: Sorry, realised you say the help file is not clear...

"C:\Path\To\Folder\*.*"

should exclude all files in C:\Path\To\Folder

It works for me.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

All subfolders will be excluded. E.g. excluding c:\windows\*.* would also exclude c:\windows\system32\drivers\*.* as well.

4. Matt_au

Matt_au Registered Member

Thank you Marcos, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

Phil, restating what I have just said does not make it clear to me is not really all that helpful. What I wanted to know was if I needed something like the old DOS Dir command Dir *.* /S to include sub folders, or if I needed to traverse the whole tree with a dozen or so exclusions.

5. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

I realise I didn't explain it as well as Marcos, but I tried to help in the absence (at the time) of any other replies. Maybe in future I just won't bother :rolleyes:

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Every advice is welcome and appreciated :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.