Exclusions - Too many Dialogues! Some do not even work.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by M_derator, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M_derator

M_derator Registered Member

Hey there!

Lately I installed NOD32v4 Business Edition on a Microsoft SMB. We have several Access databases (mdb) which are on a network share (presume: \\server\access\clients.mdb which is C:\access\clients.mdb). The files are opened directly from share by the users.

Before installing NOD this took up to 10 seconds because of the filesize. After the installation opening the files took up to 40 Seconds. Because this is way too much, I wanted to exclude mdb and ldb files from scan. But this is not as easy as it sounds!

There are too many options to exclude something. I will list them all:

Image 1 Image 2 Image 3
    There are three options called Settings for ThreatSense, which are under different list items.

Image 4
    And there is the exclusion list, which I tried first.

Image 5
    And this is the fifth option.

In the first I tried the exclusion list. I Added C:\access\clients.mbd and C:\access\*.mdb. Both were not working. I had to exlude the whole Directory with C:\access\. But that is not the best solution. Afterwards I tried the three ThreatSense-Settings. Finally the second one (Echtzeit-Dateischutz/Real Time Protection) worked when adding MDB to the file exclusion list.

I find all this very confusing! All three called ThreatSense, where is the difference between the first, second and third picture?

Why is there not only one list for the Real-Time-Protection-Scan and another for the On-Deman-Scan? Then the lists should be improved, no, they should actually work.

(For Example)
    C:\
    Excludes the whole drive C

C:\a*
    Excludes autoexec.bat, C:\access\, C:\anything\..., C:\anything\something\...

C:\*mdb
    Excludes C:\files-mdb\, C:\anything\mdb\, C:\access.mdb, C:\access\clients.mdb, ...

C:\*.mdb
    Excludes C:\access.mdb, C:\anything\something.mdb, ...

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There's only one exclusion list for both real-time protection and the on-demand scanner and that is in Antivirus and antispyware -> Exclusions.

For particular modules, such as real-time protection, you can specify extensions of files that will be scanned. So here I'd remove mdb (or set default extenstions instead of all files). Failing this, add the C:\access\*.* to the global exclusion list. You can also watch statistics where you'll see what files are being processed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.