Exclusion list - can't find enough granularity

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by DesertRat, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesertRat

DesertRat Registered Member

With NOD32 v4.0.424.0

I'd like to exclude an entire folder from Real-time file system protection. However, I don't want to exclude it from On-demand scans, neither scheduled with a profile or context menu scans.

I believe v2.7 had that granularity, but I can't find it in V4.x

Is it gone, or am I simply not finding it?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Exclusions in v2 worked only for real-time protection, it wasn't possible to exclude files from on-demand scans. Currently exclusions in v3/v4 are effective for all modules.

3. DesertRat

DesertRat Registered Member

Hi, Marco. Thanks for taking a look at this. Yes, your statement seems exactly right, and in v2.x it fit my typical needs precisely. What you say about v3.x/v4.x I'm finding to be true as well. I guess my presumption was accurate. It's a good example of what I don't want. I find that, if for compatibility reasons, I exclude a folder from real-time monitoring, I've excluded that folder from on-demand scans as well.

This means that after my problematic other application is finished I can't manually check that folder with NOD32. Well, not in a trouble-free manner. I could always move the files to a non-excluded folder, or add and remove the exclusion each time I need to.

Good examples of what not to scan in real time, but perhaps on demand, are data files that are grown or refreshed, a message store, or perhaps something that is typically scanned for viruses, but not in real time, like downloaded mp3's where the file is first pre-allocated by the downloading program.

Do you see what I'm saying? Regardless, I see now that there's no helping it with this version of NOD32. If I haven't gone astray in my assumptions, then maybe this is worthy of my posting a wishful request to ESET programming.

Regards,
    DesertRat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.