Excessive CPU usage

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Insane_Homer, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insane_Homer

Insane_Homer Registered Member

Hi,

I installed the 20MB + of Microsoft updates this morning. Since then after every reboot I'm getting excessive CPU usage.

'Startup scanning in Progress' is the message.

Scheduler has 2 instances of "Automatic startup file check" ticked, one for user logon and 1 for Successful update of the virus sigs.

ekrn.exe is sitting at 50% min and peaking at 99% - it's been doing that for 3+ hours now. Multiple reboots.

I've upgraded and updated to 4.2.58.3 64 bit edition (I was running 4.0.x 32-bit until about an hour ago and decided to update to the 4.2.x 643 bit eidition to see if it would make a difference, it has not).

Update Module is 1031
    Virus 5358

I'm currently Running Windows 7 64-bit SP1 (Beta) - fully patched as of this morning.

Temporarily disabling the virus scan also fails to stop it doing this.

Any suggestions?

2. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Yes, read the forum before posting :)

Two other threads today are discussing this - on the same page as your posting.

3. Insane_Homer

Insane_Homer Registered Member

thanks for point that out! does that make feel all superior now?

I saw those after posting mine only because while posting mine and accumulating the required details requested that I then saw the common problem with those threads... that being 64-bit OS Automatic file start-up issues, neither posts topics mentioned those, I'm hardly doing to open every post on the 1st 2 pages just to avoid being chastised by you.

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.