Exactly what does PES 8.0 wipe?

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by werne, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mark7,

Thank you for your investigation. I have forwarded your results to our Development Team and they will fix the problem as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

2. Paul Coddington

Paul Coddington Registered Member

No, this is not the case, because any file that was deleted by any process other than manual erase specifically with PE (ie: potentially any number of unknown files) may be written over at any time by any other process unpredictably.

As files are being created and destroyed all the time, some of which you have no direct control over, you can't assume that a free space wipe has been done in time to prevent sensitive data being caught in a cluster tip of the new file. Leaving the cluster tips unerased is effectively playing roulette with people's security.

Most of us prefer knowing the data has been wiped, rather than 'there's a good chance it was wiped'.

Of course, this is not a new problem - I've been waiting a long time for this one to be fixed, along with other bugs. I am disappointed that people are still reporting it and the question is still being avoided.

3. Re: Exactly what does PES 8.0 wipe?-will we ever know?

Fortunately (for me) or not, I’ve been watching and testing any software that can successfully touch (and / or delete, change, etc) the MFT the ADS areas, (as well as several other areas) without totally making the pc “puke”… no luck. Which if you ask me……. Is very good. But I will say it doesn’t take much to understand one simple thing – there is a HUGE difference between FILE SYSTEM and OPERATING SYSTEM… That’s where the fence lies. It's as simple as this (and I loved the reference to the fridge) you can clean the dust and mites and dog hair off the carpet all you want - but you'll either have a bag full of evidence, or the vacuum itself as proof!

4. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

Re: Exactly what does PES 8.0 wipe?-will we ever know?

Have you tried Eraser or Directory Snoop? (both cleaned MFT here). Can't PM this to you if you remain a "guest" .. ;)

5. Segovia

Segovia Registered Member

Hmm. Well BCWipe does, Terminus does, O&O does. I used BCWipe for 3 or 4 years now, and never had my PC "puke".

Don't get me wrong, I like Acronis. I've used partition expert, and true image for quite some time. Unfortunately, Privacy Expert doesn't live up to the stellar reputation those other two products have.

I find it a little frustrating that Acronis seems either unable, or unwilling to fix the issues with MFT, ADS, and Cluster Tips (file slack). In my mind that puts PES in the snake oil category for now.

6. Acronis Support

Hello Segovia,

Our Development Team is investigating the problem with MFT and free space deletion. We will certainly fix the issue very soon and implement the fix as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. steveuk

steveuk Guest

Has there been any progress on adding this essential mfunctionality to PE ?

8. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

In a nutshell... NO :(

I performed a clean install of the latest (Sept 15) PE 8 build 788.

Cookies and Temporary Internet files names and file size MFT entries still remain after: 1) Internet Cleanup... still there... followed by... 2) a disk cleanup... still there.

The sectors have been wiped (partial credit to Acronis for at least clearing the sectors!), but entries still remain in the MFT.

As my lil' Pentium 400 is already tasked to the max, something had to go and it was PE. It just does not do the job for me (specifically, the wiping of filenames and file sizes in the MFTs).

I trust I have documented my investigations sufficiently in this thread so that someone else can pick up the torch, but as for me, I am abandoning Acronis PE in favor of other proven methods.

Good Luck

9. drworry

drworry Registered Member

So what program(s) do seem to fill the bill for erasing those pesky MFTs? I would like to get something that really does clean things up....

10. SteveUK

SteveUK Guest

Good question : any suggestions for software which does the full job ?

Also, can we hear from ACRONIS again on this issue ?

11. Segovia

From Terminus' website, a comparison chart of many different file wiping utilities - Acronis PES included.

http://www.e-f-w.com/t6comparison/

(Note: I'm not trying to promote Terminus. I just thought some people might find that chart interesting.)

12. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

Interesting link... but keep in mind it is not up to date. For example, it only reviewed Acronis PE 2003. Also Tolvanen Eraser 5.7 (freeware) *does* erase all FAT/MFT entries on a partition, or the whole drive, for all deleted files. I noted that Eraser v5.5 was released 08-Dec-2002, why wasn't THIS version reviewed? I could not find a release date for Eraser 5.3, but it was way before 2002...

It appears to me that although *interesting* to some exent, this chart appears to be somewhat arbitrary and I would interpret its results with a large cube of salt. Since this is from Terminus, I'd be wary of any non-independent reviews...

13. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

14. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

First link: great report!

I was able to recover internet gif's and temp IE files with earlier build of PE 8 (build 714). This has been fixed to some extent in latest build (starting with PE 8 build 734), file content and slack space is wiped, but deleted MFT filename & size entries for IE temp files remain... (edit to add build numbers for reference)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  15. Segovia

16. Any idea how PE9 relates to this thread ?

17. Browser

Browser Guest

Does anyone know exactly what does PES 9.0 wipe ?

18. BROWSER

BROWSER Guest

Anyone got any info to contribute ?

19. Acronis Support

Hello BROWSER,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Internet Privacy and Antispyware Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

I have forwarded this question to our Development Team and let you know the answer as soon as it's provided.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

20. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

"toptenreviews" post/link removed. here you can see some of the main reasons.

21. englishman

englishman Registered Member

Message for "dingebre" - I don't know how to link or cross-refer threads, but this thread seems highly relevant to your recent query :)

22. werne

werne Registered Member

This was posted January 29th, 2006. Possibly Kirill you could let us know the preliminary results of the development team?

23. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Registered Member

No response ... Humm, this is really out of character!o_O

24. werne

werne Registered Member

Actually 16 Jul 2005 ( Ilya Toytman) is the earliest date that the development team was forwarded the thesis of this thread. Possibly we could hear from them how it is going? Or isn't going. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.