Ewido?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by bigbuck, Nov 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

[/quote]PS> What happens after the 14day trial?[/quote]

See reply #2 in this thread ;)

regards,

paul

2. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I suspect that it was dragging CPU, but you didn't happen to catch it at the right times.

Another thing that can happen is that software bogs down the system process, rather than its own. I see this all the time. If software loads a driver, that driver can consume CPU in the system process, rather than whatever EXE(s) it installs. Just run something like BestCrypt, and watch where the CPU load takes place during heavy I/O--it's the bcbus.sys thread under the system process.

You can use Sysinternals Process Explorer to see what is going on in this case. I'm not saying this is going on with Ewido's guard.sys, though. (And, having uninstalled it, can't check very conveniently.)

3. rafman

rafman Registered Member

I have just installed ewido and am not using the guard feature. But with the program closed, I see a process running called ewidoctrl.exe using 1892 K. Doesn't seem to slow my system but I am wondering what this process is.

4. nameless

nameless Registered Member

If Ewido actually had documentation, you wouldn't need to ask in a public forum. The ewidoctrl.exe application handles updates, whether they are done with automatic updates, or manually. It may do other things too, but that's the one function I am aware of.

5. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

well it's running as the free version now.........no real time guard......just a scanner, and manual updates.
    And it hasn't found anything.......yet...touch wood!
    Thanks for all the advice.

6. bigbuck

Why would ewidctrl.exe show up in task manager in my running processes now that I have reverted to the free version (ie no realtime guard...no automatic updates)?
    Buck.

7. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

It's needed for cleaning, updating etc.

8. bigbuck

Thanks Fish,
    Buck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.