Ewido

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Wargames, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wargames

Wargames Guest

Does Ewido detect that many

anybody else got doubts about Ewido detecting as many threats as they say? why doesnt it have a list of what it detects? They could just say they detect a million viruses and nobody would know! and if they release a list that gives them more credibility so its good for them even more. Nice program but i wont register until i see a list so until then im sticking with NOD as im not a gambler! LOL
    Also does anyone know where the name Ewido came from Thanks

2. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

You're really taking a gamble if you think NOD32 will detect more trojans than Ewido.
    If anything you'd only be improving your security by running NOD32 & Ewido side by side (NOD for viruses, Ewido for trojans & other malware types).

As far as Ewido's numbers, I have no idea where that can be verified. I wouldn't mind knowing myself.

3. ----

"why doesnt it have a list of what it detects? "

It has. Have a look at their website: http://www.ewido.net/en/?section=database

Unfortunately, there seem to be a few trojans (like certain members of the Helios family) which are included in the database although they cannot be detected. Since I have used original samples for my tests I wonder whether the problem results from a bug related to the creation of the signature database. But who knows. My findings were not yet confirmed by Ewido. Let's wait and see what happens after the upcoming revised version is released.

4. Wargames

Wargames Guest

To Guest:
    It doesnt! that lets you search for names that are at least 3 characters but still no list and that makes me even more suspicious :(. The program should be able to generate the list from the program using the latest database files like antivirus programs do so i hope the Ewido author can add this to the next version because it seems like a good program but a lot of people are suspicious about it claiming to detect more than it really does and from a security standpoint that cant be good!!

To seven, nice nick!
    Thanks id like to but im waaaay low on resources, i cant even play the new DOOM 3 :(
    im getting a new PC after christmas so maybe ill run both at the same time then

Im also still wondering where the name Ewido came from! its an interesting name for a scanner program
    Thankyou again

5. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

ewido in the actual release we know, is only a month old. next week will be a upgrade available.
    every new product has a hard time to get trough but they allready did it very good. and the next version will be even better, more features, lower resources, unicode support (foreign languages malware)

the fact they don't have a online database like nod32(tds-3 doesn't have one either!!!!!!) doesn't mean they fraud or whatever you try to say

quote:but a lot of people are suspicious about it claiming to detect more than it really does quote

it is quite obvious the biggest players in this area doesn't want to get their signatures copied or something like it. I hope you understand what I am saying. I feel a lot of jealousy and every AT wants the best product with the best signatures and they watch very closely what the other players do...every wrong step can mean a loss of credability and potential customers. that is how I see it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.