ewido-signatures-full-current.exe fail to recognize Ewido beta 4.0

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware beta forum' started by Chubb, Apr 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

4.0.0.151 crashed and was unable to start on my Windows XP. I therefore revert to 4.0.0.150, disable automatic update and update only the signature manually. However, ewido-signatures-full-current.exe failed to locate and recognize the 4.0 beta. It says: ewido anti-malware could not be found on your system, and asked me to locate the path. However, the update was successful o_O o_O

Attached Files:

2. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

The signatures installer are currently for 3.5 only.

BR

3. plun

plun Registered Member

Hi Vinzenz

Within a swedish forum 2 users also reports that Anti malware 4.0 doesnt exist. :eek:

Any good practise/procedures to track down this behavior ? look for logfiles etc ? Really strange.....

Chubb´s print screen shows E: as installation disc so maybe something is corrupt with the installer.

Both are also running 3.5 parallell to 4.0.

o_O

4. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

E:\Program Files\ is where I installed the beta. Since the signature installer cannot locate ewido 4.0, I just browse to where it is. Sorry for the confusion. :p

5. plun

plun Registered Member

Hi Chubb

I believe we have a confusion within this....... :p

Maybe someone from Ewido can clarify it ?

Default install path/folder on swedish XP versions is C:\Program (not Program Files)

2 independent users reported that they did not have any 4.0 folders.
    Also after reinstall it was trouble with the 30 day free run. (for one user)

I am going to ask for more details but the install paths maybe can be
    clarified ? someone from Ewido ?

My own install was with no problem, have noticed trouble for the Ewido guard to stay active for unknown reasons..... o_O

regards
    plun

6. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Sorry for the confusion again :p

I opt for the custom installation for every software that I installed and I choose to install all to E:\Program Files, unless I don't have the option to do so. No matter where I install it, I think the installer should be able to search for the installation path in the Registry and install the signature to there right away. Although vinzenz said that the installer was for 3.5, I think it can be modified a bit, so that it will search for the install path in the registry and update 4.0 right away, without having to browse the path for myself.

However, some antivirus software like Norton AntiVirus place all signatures into C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec, something like that, if I can remember correctly... In this way, no matter where the user has installed Norton, the installer will update the signature to the default path.

Maybe the installer was instructed to update the signatures in C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ by default, so that it was unable to perform the update when it cannot find the path in the HD.

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

With Ewido 4.0 beta I noticed that the signature in database is correct and I did find a folder for Ewido 4.0 antimalware in Program Files.
    There was also an old folder for Ewido 3.5.
    This may have been one of the few traces left from the uninstall,but updating has been trouble-free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.