Ewido:quarantine

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by carry, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carry

carry Registered Member

Hi,
    I just have done a little scan with new ewido I download last week-Everything goes well,found a few infected folders that I supprimed-
    So my quest now is :what's going on with all objects staying in quarantine ?(tracking cookies)-Do I take them away allready or let them stay during xxxdays?
    Thanks for adwise
    Carry-

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

It's always safe to delete tracking Cookies, there is no need to keep them in quarantine; they are only .txt files and are not important to the running of your system at all.

If you have a file in quarantine that could be relevant to the running of your system then it is prudent to keep it quarantined for a couple of weeks or so, just in case you need to submit it for analysis or to avoid the inconvenience of a false positive.

When you are sure you no longer need the file by all means delete it; but there is no magic number as to how long to keep something in quarantine.

Quarantined items are encrypted so they are safe and can do no harm while being 'stored'.

3. carry

carry Registered Member

Thanks for you advice :)
    carry

4. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Sorry to butt-in on this thread, but my question is related. Is there a way to have Ewido delete things it finds, instead of putting them in quarantine & making me delete?

Ewido 3.5 within 14 day trial period.

5. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

I would prefer that Ewido puts it in quarantine, because when something is flagged and afterwards it appears to be a false positive, you can easily restore from the quarantine. :)
    In case you deleted it, then you're out of luck. :doubt:
    Quarantine is there to store supposed malware, so Ewido should NOT delete automatically, but instead let the user decide what to remove or not.

Just my 0.2 eurocent. ;)

6. Biscuit

It's a valid point Eldar, but maybe it could be an option with the default of a quarantine (a little like Adaware)? Also there's no single-zap button for the quarantine, so it's CTRL+A & then the delete, when I'd prefer the files just to be zapped automatically. I'm finding that it's creating housework for a quarantine that's only full of tracking cookies.

7. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Maybe something to add to the wishlist for version 4, which is currently in beta and is also the one I'm using. :cool:
    Or maybe that feature has already been added. :rolleyes:
    For tracking cookies I agree that deleting those automatically would simplify your housework, not for the rest. ;)

8. Biscuit

Thanks for your reply

One for the wish list I think, but I'll try to get v4 to test before I make any other suggestions.

I'm sliding off-topic now, so will make a new thread if I need to follow this up.

9. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

You're welcome Biscuit. ;)
    Have fun while testing Ewido 4.0 and don't forget to pass on your wishlist while you're at it. :)

10. carry

carry Registered Member

hello,

just one more quest about ewido:is it safer to run with automatic update or
    only update when I need to scan?(I disabled backround guard when installed)-I ask because my ad aware is also on "on demand scan".This evening I run the both and they both found same tracking cookieso_O
    Thanks ,Carry

11. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Ewido auto-updates through the Guard, so if you have disabled the Guard then you will not be able automatically to receive updates.

It won't make any difference though, if all you want to do is scan, because ewido will not be providing any realtime protection without the Guard, so there would be no purpose in updating unless you were going to do a scan.

Obviously it is safer to have the Guard running, complete with auto-updates, than just doing demand scans.

12. carry

carry Registered Member

Thank you Topper ID,

but why when I am running a scan with ewido it found some cookies ,I cleaned them via quarantine ,then I scan with ad-aware and it found the same cookies that I cleaned with the ewidoo_O

Carry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.